Rat Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3,509 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, it finally happened.

The day has come where I have had to separate Taz and Mattie from Ray, for their own safety. I got the boys out for free-range time tonight and although Taz was unscathed, Mattie has had a hole torn in his back. It's healing already, so I've washed using saline and will begin Baytril as a precaution. The poor guy.

I took a huge risk and placed Mattie and Taz in the smaller QT cage with Ivan (it's just a feeling I had about Ivan, he absolutely begs for any companionship of any kind - usually I would follow proper intro methods) and immediately Ivan was crawling under Mattie, grooming him and getting groomed back. Minor squeaking has occured when Ivan has done his odd lop-sided popcorn into one of the boys, but that's all that's happened. I'm sitting here right now watching Ivan groom Mattie, while Taz is hidden away in an igloo in the corner.

Why put the two into the smaller cage and leave Ray in the main cage? (This cage is just big enough for one rat - but tonight it will have to house all 3) Because I thought it safer to intro two rats onto Ivan's 'patch' than Ivan into well broken in home of the two boys. It seems to have worked - they seem un-easy enough because it's not 'their house' and they are without territory. Tomorrow, if all goes well tonight (the sick cage is sleeping next to me, any arguments and I'll be up in a flash) the three will be transferred into their previous cage, and mean ass Ray will have to suffer the small cage over the weekend.

I'm going to call the vets tomorrow and book him in for his neuter on Monday (a nice birthday present for me - vet bills!). I know the aggression won't go away straight away - how long should I leave it afterwards before introducing him to the boys (now including Ivan)? Obviously I will be following proper intro methods - but when (assuming this excessive hormones are the problem) should it be safe enough to try?

Any input would be thoroughly appreciated. I'm trying so hard to keep these boys together and I don't want Ray to become a singleton like some of my other boys :(

·
Registered
10,641 Posts
Some males lose their aggression within a week of a neuter, others take longer for those hormones to clear their system.

I am sorry your boy got hurt, but I am glad to hear Ray is getting neutered to reduce his anxiety and hopefully make him a good member of a happy colony again.

Ivan's very young so your other 2 should have no problems with him :)

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
It has been four - five weeks since I got Sebastain nuetered and there is absolutely no improvement what so ever on him. He is still jsut as nasty. If Iwould have known this I never would have gotten him nuetered, however I have heard great success storied so hopefullyk your boy will calm down quickly!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts