Rat Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, i feel kind of bad only posting on this forum, but this has me worried quite a bit.

Yesterday my male rat (Junior, a little over two months old) was acting very lethargic, didn't really want to move, just wanted to cuddle close to his brother inside their igloo. I picked him up to see what was wrong and he showed a bit of energy, kinda moving around in my hands and sniffing around, and when i set him on my desk he walked around exploring--didn't really notice anything wrong, other than the fact he was moving kind of slow. He isn't eating or drinking near as much as he usually does, though i've been giving him water via syringe, which he thankfully drinks from, and also feeding him fat-free apple sauce from a spoon i set in his cage.

Anyway, the first thing I thought of was URI, so I have a vet appointment scheduled tomorrow. But today i noticed him favoring his hind legs quite a bit, to the point where he is waddling whenever he tries to get around. He doesn't put any pressure on them when he gets down from my hands. However, I don't hear him making any painful noises or anything...

So is it possible he has a broken / hurt leg? Or do you think this is a tumor or stroke or what? I would just wait until the vet appointment tomorrow, but it is difficult finding a vet who has a lot of experience with rats, so i would like to go in there with a list of things i want her to check.

·
Registered
532 Posts
i had a young rat a while back who died of what i think was a massive stroke. it was very quick, though - one minute he was fine, and then 4 hours later, he was paralyzed and seizuring. he didn't show any "in between" signs or illness, it just happened really suddenly. your rattie may have suffered from a small stroke, but this usually affects only one side (or so i've heard)

also - your rattie may have just sprained his leg jumping around or climbing (are there any levels in his cage?) or broken a claw. if you can, gently try to see if there is anything physically wrong with his back legs, like swelling or a broken bone or claw. in the end, it's best for the vet to take a look, but if you notice anything different, make a note of it and be sure to bring it up at the appointment.

·
Registered
10,641 Posts
He could've sprained a foot but they usually hold them up so its obvious. No porphyrin, no ruffled fur, no breathing sounds? How is his urine? Is it strong smelling or is there blood in it?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Just looked at his hind legs, doesn't seem to be any abnormality...shows a little black and blue on the...uh...i dunno what to call it, the big part of their lower leg right before their claws. but it's on both legs so i don't know how likely it is that that's significant, or if it's just normal?

No blood in his urine, haven't really had an opportunity to smell it (carefresh bedding, though i have noticed he himself smells a lot stronger than normal), enough porphyrin around his nose that it's easily noticeable, and no struggled or ragged breathing sounds. His fur is ruffled too.

As for his cage, I brought them home from college this weekend and put them in my older cage (single floor), and he and his brother kept me up all of saturday night because they were playing, and then i noticed sunday afternoon he wasn't doing so well.

·
Registered
10,641 Posts
Keep an eye on him, if you think it might be an actual injury, rats are smart and will usually quiet down for a day to heal...or as I call it, hunker down and endure.

If you think he may be ill, then I would watch him very carefully and run him to the vet.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts