Rat Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Back in 9th grade, I learned to sew pretty well through a clothing class that I took. I liked it so much, in fact, that my Mum bought me a sewing machine for Christmas! I made all sorts of plans for it, then let it sit in my closet for several years and didn't do ANYTHING with it...

Until now. I have rats. Rats MUST have hammocks, I told myself. So I made hammocks! And promptly broke my sewing machine. :evil: Something's wrong with the belts or something, so we're going to get it repaired next week.

Borrowed my MIL's sewing machine, and have broken three needles on her machine trying to make a pocket hammock...

Thus, most of the hammocks I have made have been made by... that's right. hand. 8O Including this cuddle cup, which I apparently made without thinking about what size my ratties are. Not that they seem to mind. ;)

Yep, all three of them in it.

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
You and sewing machines are having issues, aren't you? :lol:

Ah well, the ratties love handmade stuff... smells better, I figure.

·
Registered
2,755 Posts
you know, i think they purposely find the smallest things in the cage then see how many of them they can squeeze in there. i recently found out that the medium sized igloo i have can actually fit 11 rats. its really quite something. and you wouldn't think its comfortable but no one tried to get out either...

as for sewing machines. i did the same thing. begged and begged for one, finally bought for myself, made a 1 and 1/2 shirts and let it sit until recently when i tried my hand at hammocks and liners. i hate making liner and my hammocks look like crud... so i'm employing javakitty to make some for me. even sending her the fabric i've been stock-piling and planning to make things i have no patience for. i have 2 graabe bag full of it too... i think i should be able to get a lot of stuff out of it though its going to take a while to get it all made and bought.

in any case i'm sure your rats love your work. you have more patience with then i do!

·
Registered
3,509 Posts
OMG cuddle cups! I've been trying to figure out how to work out how to make them .. and so far I've started three times and given up because it's too hard. LOL

They look so cute stock-piled into it though lol

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
your sewing machine probably died through lack of use, haha!! my mother has mine and wont give it back.

·
Registered
33 Posts
You should have your machine tuned up, you shouldn't be breaking that many needles. Are you sure you are using sharp needles? I would assume so since you broke multiples.

Have you checked the size of needles you are using? Different fabrics take different sizes, and if you use too small of a needle then it will break as it attempts to go through the fabric. For most cotton a 75/11 or 80/12 would work well, but polar fleece works best with a 100/16. You can buy a variety pack of needles for under five dollars, which will have every type of needle you could ever want. (the first number in a size is the metric size, and the second number is the American sizing).

Make sure your needle is lining up correctly with your bobin, if you needle hits anything it will weaken extremely quickly.

Good luck with your machine, I know I love mine!

Pink

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well, my MIL uses her machine pretty regularly--I thought. My husband told me otherwise, so maybe hers needs a tune up too. I don't know what kind of needles I used. Just whatever she had with the machine. I'll check the alignment though. Thanks for the tips.

·
Registered
626 Posts
I love the little rat-pile in the cuddle cup! looks great btw

·
Registered
261 Posts
homemade cage supplies are rattie attractors.
that hammock you made, i must complement you on how nicely done it looks. do you wash your hammocks in the washing machine. i can sure tell by the picture you posted, they love sleeping in it.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts