Rat Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I hope I am posting this in the right section!

I got home from the store with my two new babies a few hours ago and am confused by one. They were feeders so I pretty much had to sex them myself and look everyone over... One is a definite boy but the other is making me second guess now that I'm home. The male was in the tank with his mom and siblings, the lady said they were ready to be separated from mom. The other was in a tank with I guess the rest of its litter mates and no mom.

When looking at the light colored one, I compared the spacing of the ones in that tank to try and determine who was male and who was female, I thought it was a male because of the spacing and the balls seemed to 'come out' a little but now that I'm home... I'm second guessing and have been checking nonstop... It's hard for me to tell.. Comparing the two at home, I think it's a female. But, I moved the fur around to try and see any 'slit' and there wasn't one that I could see, if I move the fur around where the balls would be, you can see kind of like.. extra skin? (kind of bare where the balls would be?), but I don't know. There's also no nipples visible. I really hope it's a late bloomer or something. I love it already and don't want to take it back. :(

Have I mistaken a female for a male? Or is it a male that is a late bloomer/able to hide his man-junk?

And the definite boy.

Also, does the grey hooded one look younger than the lighter one? With all my second guessing, I started to think about what if the lighter one isn't older than the grey... But I think that's just me hoping it's a boy.
The light one is fluffier and seems a little bit bigger than the grey, it also looks like a hamster in the face lol! The grey has shorter/thinner? fur and seems a tad bit smaller, but not by much.

·
Registered
8,526 Posts
I'm inclined to say male but it's hard. Under the pink nub, is there a hole? That's where the vagina is located, just under the urethra.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
When I move the fur around there, there is no hole that I can see. But there's so much fur that I'm not too sure

To be honest, I think I might be overreacting about it.. Every time I check, I see male but second guess it because of the lack of testicles. I feel so bad. :(

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Oh my gosh, thank you so much for reassuring me! That picture seems to show more of what mine looks like. All the others I've looked at didn't seem to look like mine. I was also think I was expecting them to be more noticeable since the grey one's are.

Thank you both soo much!

·
Registered
2,474 Posts
They're both very much males

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thank you all SO much, I've been worried sick that I had missexed it while there. I've been going through all the possible scenarios in my head since coming home, I've been so stressed!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts