Rat Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
468 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, so there is a topic about Roxie's accidental litter in that section, but no one really looks there very often, it seems, so I figured this was the next best place to ask this question.

Tomorrow (Wednesday) the babies will be 3 weeks. I need to seperate them at the end of their 4th week, right? Because I'm pretty sure I read that they become sexually mature at the beginning of their 5th week, and I do NOT need anymore babies! lol

The babies have started eating the food that we feed Roxie, though they're still nursing a bit, if that helps any.

Thanks!!

--Mallory

·
Registered
393 Posts
They must be separated by five weeks. It's unlikely that they will breed at five weeks though they reach sexual maturity at that point. Separating them at four and a half weeks to five weeks would be fine, I don't think it's necessary to remove them as early as four weeks.

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
as long as they're all eating and drinking independently, then 4 weeks is plenty early enough. i separated my neighbours babies at four weeks as they were fully independent by then, and mum wanted to be back with the big girls.

·
Registered
486 Posts
I'd seperated them just before they hit the 5 week mark.
I seperated Dotty's at about 4 and a half weeks.

·
Registered
393 Posts
crapola said:
as long as they're all eating and drinking independently, then 4 weeks is plenty early enough. i separated my neighbours babies at four weeks as they were fully independent by then, and mum wanted to be back with the big girls.

It's not a matter of whether or not they are weaned. They are weaned at four weeks. However, there are other benefits to keeping the pups with mom as long as possible. They learn from her, take comfort from her, etc and I don't see why they should be separated any earlier than necessary.

·
Registered
468 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks, guys! Next Wednesday will be the end of their 4th week, not the beginning, so they'll be into their 5th week.

I really appreciate all the advice. Thanks!!

·
Registered
234 Posts
Darksong17 said:
crapola said:

It's not a matter of whether or not they are weaned. They are weaned at four weeks. However, there are other benefits to keeping the pups with mom as long as possible. They learn from her, take comfort from her, etc and I don't see why they should be separated any earlier than necessary.
They should be weaned at five weeks practical, DarkSong.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts