Rat Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
10,641 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a sweet old fat girl I took in last April, who is a passive loving but timid girl with other rats. She had a special cagemate that came with her, but sadly my sweet Maddie was only with us for a short while, and after a battle with a throat abscess she left us. After that Shadow wanted to be loved by other rats but they didn't seem to want to oblige. They passed on one by one and she was left with Rennie, the Wildling's mom who is a bit "wired-wrong" and would regularly pin Shadow and stamp on her and make her scream. There was no grooming or cuddling in hammocks...but Shadow just took what she could.

I took in a sweet little old gal from a friend. She had taken in 2 neglected oldies but the cagemate had to be pts. so I took in Mattie since I was hoping I could finally find Shadow a good friend. Mattie is sweet but hasn't quite bonded with Shadow plus she is having her own issues right not. We think she may have suffered a mini-stroke...sigh.
I then I fostered 2 older gals for the same girl and the previous owners donated the ALT cages to us. :) I just got mine yesterday and had a blast setting it up for the 2 girls. Rennie got even worse and I finally decided Shadow at 28 months didn't need to put up with that anymore, so Rennie was removed.

I intro'd the 2 older gals to my neutered new boys and it was wonderful. :D
Shadow is finally truly happy again. :)

Shadow, Wilbur and Otto

Wilbur, Shadow and tilty wee Mattie

and this is the scene I woke up to

Shadow is happy again. :D

·
Registered
532 Posts
awww :) i'm glad everything worked out for you and your little girlie

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
Aww, her eyes look like they are watering from tears of joy in that last picture. You can definitely see happiness in her face :) That is a story to tell everyone who thinks there rat is happy enough as a single rat :)

·
Registered
2,755 Posts
that's very sweet, thanks for sharing. it really does look like shadow is happy with the other oldies. i'm glad it worked out in the end.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Now how can you look at those pictures and NOT fall in love with ratties. I still can't get over people's initial reactions to rats. They tell me they are "dirty, and mean, and aggressive, and disgusting!" But look at how happy and sweet lilspaz's crew is. Look at them snuggling. How can you not just fall in love with their little bright-eyed, pink nosed, no-chin faces. How sweet. :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts