Rat Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone else make meals that are intentionally rat friendly so that you can share? I just shared my boiled egg sandwich with my boys and just love how they'll sit in my lap munching and then look up at me with those innocent little eyes until I give them more. They're never pushy about it, just so patient :)

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
You are lucky! Two of my four boys are incredibly pushy when it comes to taking my food. You'd think by their behaviour that they are sharing with ME! Haha Their favourite meal to 'share' is probably breakfast. They love scrambled eggs, omelettes with cheese, cereal and milk, buttered toast - anything they can successfully steal! They are such good, motivated, intelligent boys when it comes to clicker training and learning tricks but the minute I am eating a meal, it all goes out of the window. :)

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Oh my girls would rip each other (and me) to shreds for my food lol I don't sit on the floor with them while I eat like I do with my boys or else I'd maybe get one bite of food before they stole it all. My boys are quite lazy though, so I think that they just don't want to put forth any extra energy when they know I'll share with them anyway lol

·
Registered
955 Posts
I've been trying to teach my boys 'wait' to try to get them to stop being so grabby. They're so pushy and greedy! The 'wait' training works individually but as soon as another comes along it goes out the window and it becomes a mad scramble for noms!

·
Registered
953 Posts
As far as dinner usually the whole meal is rat friendly, if not at least 2 courses are. We typically have a 3 course meal-meat-grain-veggie. Often I just have to alter a little for the rats. for example broccoli with cheese sauce for the humans-but some broccoli is removed prior to cheese sauce for our conure and rats.

ours are pretty mellow about human food since they usually get a small portion daily. Now human junk food is a whole other story. They go crazy if they think someone has a Popsicle or some other sugary junky thing, since they don't get that all that often (neither do we). Buttercup will yank down your lip and look inside your mouth if she thinks she isnt' getting her share of junk. She also will open your hand and inspect each finger in case you are hiding some of it. So ya...I guess I'd say she's a wee bit pushy.

·
Registered
2,261 Posts
I shared a plate of KD last night with my girls. How they love KD! Just like me :)
I just sit on the floor and they fly over and chow down, lol

·
Registered
149 Posts
You're lucky they wait patiently. Myrtle will steal right off my fork and think nothing of it. The other two sit and beg and they're way too cute to say no to.

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hehe, I love my boys. They're not exactly as friendly as my girls, but I feel like that lack of confidence is what makes them more polite. Odin (my more confident boy, which is funny because his eyesight is terrible) would definitely steal food from my mouth if the other boys did, but he goes with the flow of the pack most of the time even though he's definitely more dominant (probably compensating for the eyesight). My girls would probably take a stroll down my throat if they thought that'd get them more munchies lol Even shy little Astrid gets a little food crazy.

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
My worst experience has definitely been with eating weetabix and milk out of a bowl. My 4 boys tackled the plate by all simultaneously reaching for it on their hind legs and worked together to weigh one side down enough to where the weetabix and milk poured down into their open little mouths. My boyfriend was laughing so hard at their joint enthusiasm and planning. It was especially hilarious (apparantly) watching me try to desperately shovel spoonfools of weetabix into my mouth to beat the little brats to my breakfast. Lol

·
Registered
368 Posts
I have learned not to sit anywhere near my girls while eating a banana. It is their favorite treat. Roxy, especially would take the whole darn thing if she could. So what I will do now, is eat my share, then go to them with extra bits. Have to be careful to make sure Daisy gets her fair share before Roxy takes all the pieces. I often try to get them to go to two separate levels of the cage before sharing out.

·
Registered
246 Posts
I usually let my boys have some of my food, but last time I let Beadle sit in my shirt while I ate he kept popping out of the shirt to try to get between my mouth and the food. I have also learned that I cannot have them on the desk and have a frap, because they will try to take all the whipped cream.
They go wild for Kulfi!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts