Rat Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering if anyone could give me some help on trimming my rats claws. They're very sharp but my boys just fidget so much which makes using clippers impossible. Does anyone have any tips to share? :)

·
Registered
555 Posts
Hold the top of their body so they're standing straight up and gently take a pair of nail clippers and trim each toenail at a time. Take breaks in between if needed and make a Gus over them. Sometimes giving a treat gives them something to focus on too instead. My girls generally don't mind getting theirs done but girls and boys are completely different so haha

·
Registered
335 Posts
Mine are too wiggly also. I tried once and after the first bloody toe I just was too worried to try again. I've heard of some people using a nail file actually. My vet told me to try holding them by the scruff of the neck like you do a kitten and that some rats relax more when you hold them that way. Don't know though as I haven't tried.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Mine desperately need their nails trimmed, but I'm so afraid I'm going to cut to far. How do you guys make sure you don't cut them to short?

·
Registered
335 Posts
How do you guys make sure you don't cut them to short?
If you look closely you'll see the quick or the part that's all pink. Then you'll see the white part of the nail out toward the tip. You want to cut the white tip and not the quick where the blood vessels are.

I used to clip my Guinea Pigs nails and it was pretty easy but rat nails are so tiny!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts