Rat Forum banner
1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
463 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well it is a very good job I changed her into her tank last night because I woke up to around 10 squeaking babies. cutest sound to wake up to.
mom's doing fantastic, she won't let me near them yet, I'm assuming they're all fine As she is over them protecting them.
mom's had some eggs and some soy milk.

I am so proud of her. & I feel like a grandmother constantly checking on them lol.
aw i love them already.

·
Registered
463 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Congratulations on your new additions.

Glad to hear mom and babies are doing well.
Thank you :'D
all babies have their milk bands& she's had 12. mom's feeding and watering all fine, and she seems like she doesn't mind me fussing her whilst she's sitting with her babies. in fact she started bruxing.

I absolutely love them all and don't ever want to get rid of any lol

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
I love rat babies! Is there any concern that the other girl you got could be pregnant as well? Also, I just noticed that your girl who gave birth has high white markings which means that some of her pups may develop a genetic condition called megacolon. There is a sticky on megacolon that you should read and many of us have experience with it first hand if you have any questions. However, just because she's high white, doesn't mean that megacolon is absolutely going to happen in her pups, it's just something that you should be aware of just in case. Glad everyone is doing good, I look forward to seeing more pics as they grow :D

·
Registered
463 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I love rat babies! Is there any concern that the other girl you got could be pregnant as well? Also, I just noticed that your girl who gave birth has high white markings which means that some of her pups may develop a genetic condition called megacolon. There is a sticky on megacolon that you should read and many of us have experience with it first hand if you have any questions. However, just because she's high white, doesn't mean that megacolon is absolutely going to happen in her pups, it's just something that you should be aware of just in case. Glad everyone is doing good, I look forward to seeing more pics as they grow
yeah I've already thought about it. and I didn't know she had high white markings. and I shall read about mega colon :-( I dreaded ever hearing that:-(.
I hope nothing goes wrong. I am in bits enough knowing I can't keep them like I really want to :'( thank you very much

·
Registered
996 Posts
Isn't megacolon nearly non existent in the UK?

Such cute little pinkies. <3 I hope things continue to go well! I am excited to watch them grow! ^_^

·
Registered
463 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Isn't megacolon nearly non existent in the UK?

Such cute little pinkies.
I haven't got a clue, I don't know much about it. I hope everything will be alright though:-(.
& aw thank you. I absolutely love them to the moon and back. really want to keep them but I live with my boyfriend and his mom won't let me :-(

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
I haven't got a clue, I don't know much about it. I hope everything will be alright though:-(.
& aw thank you. I absolutely love them to the moon and back. really want to keep them but I live with my boyfriend and his mom won't let me :-(
Didn't even look at where you're from, I'm sorry. FallDeere is correct, megacolon has really been fought against in the UK, unlike here in the states >.< Still pays to be on the lookout for anything unusual though; I generally have all my rescue litters on early genetic issue watch until they're around 8 weeks.

·
Registered
463 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Didn't even look at where you're from, I'm sorry. FallDeere is correct, megacolon has really been fought against in the UK, unlike here in the states >.< Still pays to be on the lookout for anything unusual though; I generally have all my rescue litters on early genetic issue watch until they're around 8 weeks.
oh god yeah! I totally agree. I will definitely will be on the look out.
my girl seems so tired and exhausted, and she is constantly arched over her babies, I'm not sure it's because it's what's comfortable for her but I thought they lie on their side whilst nursing.
I love sitting and watching her with her babies! It's so adorable.

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
She'll probably arch over them like that until they're a little bigger. That's pretty typical of new moms; not sure if it's out of guarding them, making sure they can all get to a nipple, or what. Eventually it'll get to a point where she'll nurse them in whatever position they "attack" her in lol I can't imagine having so many babies at once.

·
Registered
463 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
ah; I can't imagine either. I just absolutely love watching how naturally it comes to her. I do feel so sorry for her though. pet rats actually amaze me.

that's why we love our little fuzzlets

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
It sounds like she's doing wonderfully, and she's got you there to make sure she's ok. Twelve is a pretty common litter size, so it shouldn't be too stressful for her. I've seen litters of up to 21 taken care of with absolutely no help needed from me; they're amazing little creatures, for sure. She'll probably start begging you to take her out of the cage after a few days. It's perfectly fine to take her out and I do encourage it both to give her a little break and to maintain the bond between you two.

·
Registered
463 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
aw I'm glad to hear it :-D
and we haven't got a bond yet, I haven't even had her a week yet, she doesn't mind me fussing her whilst shes in the tank so I am going to take this time to build my bond. any ideas on how to do this? lol

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
Honestly, she'll be so grateful for you taking her out of the tank occasionally so that she can have a break I think that'll greatly improve your bond. And the fact that she lets you touch her while she's on her nest is a really good sign. I always found that I bond a lot better with females that I've rescued pregnant or with a young litter than ones that I raised from birth.

1 - 20 of 59 Posts