Rat Forum banner

Shedding - even worse now

517 views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  Akarah 
#1 ·
I recently posted a question about my boys shedding their hair. It sort of stopped for about a week. Then last night, and today, their cage was a hair factory. Had to vacuum everywhere. Our clothes are getting full of hair aswell, allot more than usual. They 10 weeks old now. Is this normal? Im a first time Rattie owner, but in all my research I do before getting rats, I never came across shedding. Could it be diet? Adult coat coming through?

#3 ·
Most animals shed in the spring and fall to transition from a winter to summer coat, or vice versa. Not 100% sure if rats do this, but I'm guessing they do since it's common in almost all animals with fur.

Also could be a transistion to adult coat. Buddy did that for a while and I had white/gray hair all over me every time I held him. Tempy was too skittish when he was young, so he left most of his baby coat in the cage.

#5 ·
rats shed there coats between every 4 and six weeks depending on the hair location. When they are young this is mostly in sync so you see an obvious moult line moving from there head down there back. As they get older it varies a lot so they seem to shed most of the time

#6 ·
Thanks everyone. Glad it's normal. I was worried it was a nutritional issue. The moult line is actually visible. Was wondering what that was. We are also moving into summer in SA. They must have had a ball last night in their cage, it was like a hair bomb went off...lol...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.