Rat Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looks like somewhere between playing/fighting.....Shoki has torn off one of his front paw fingernails....when i say off, i mean completely off....found him this morning...freaked out b/c his paws and face had blood on them(from either sleeping on or cleaning his booboo)....upon further inspection he managed to do it to a second fingernail on his back paw....ive washed him with warm water....he seems to be in a great deal of pain and slightly sluggish since i washed and touched teh booboos....what do i do?

·
Registered
330 Posts
ouch that sound painfull! you will probably just have to wai until it groes back, i guess its kinda like when a persons toenail or simin falls off. the same thing happened to my cat, but we just had to wait untill ir grew back, i dont really think there is much else you can do

·
Registered
3,509 Posts
He probably is in a lot of pain, i know when one of mine lose a fingernail (it happens a lot - all of my girls have a toe craving when the boys climb on their cages!) they all display similar behaviour to yours.

I usually clean the cage straight away and bathe the toe in a watered down hydrogen peroxide mix. Toes can get infected really easily in rats, so watch for any swelling or reddening of the area. If it happens to get infected, a week of baytril usually clears it up.

Usually though, bathing will keep infection away

·
Registered
549 Posts
Keep the cage really clean, one of my boys ripped his off falling out of a hammock, he didn't seem to really be that affected (not that anything but food affects my boys). If he still seems off in two days or so I'd think about taking him to the vet, the toe nail might just be a coincidence

·
Registered
187 Posts
Toe booboos are extremely common, like already mentioned, keep the cage very clean. Watch for a lot of swelling, this could indicate an infection.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
no swelling...no more bleeding....small scab that he seems to be leaving alone to heal....but he is obviously sick with something unrelated to the fingernail incident....when it rains it pours....and i cant afford to take him to the vet, no one around here that ive talked to at(that would be of any help with a rat)has any kind of payment plan....its going on day 3....only reason i havent lost it yet is the fact that hes cleaning himself...and eating...he just looks very tired...spends 90% of the day on the couch in a blanket with a hot water bottle a lil pile of food and water,hes havin a hard time breathing it seems, first day i noticed he was sick he was weezing which has since cleared up...he seems like hes getting better with a lot of rest and no boys bothering him all day.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts