Rat Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my poor little rat pippin is taking very deep short breathes, and is barley moving, i dont know whats wrong with him, he is very young and i have no idea what it could be. have just phoned my friend who is coming to try and get me to a vet if i can get hold of one, but any tips for me while i wait for her would be very helpful.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Wrap your baby in a towel or other warm fuzzy thing. Keep him/her close to you if he has bonded with you. Keep telling him its ok in a soft voice. Hold him. And let us know how it turned out. But, remember, animals can pick up on your worry, so try (as hard as this sounds) to keep your cool.

·
Registered
10,641 Posts
Sounds like a bad URI or possible pneumonia :(

Warmth, fluids, and love until you get to the vet, then it will be antibiotics and hopefully eventually a healthy rat again.

So sad when they are young and get sick like that.
How old is your baby? How long have you had Pippens?

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
sorry i didnt reply, i was too upset, my poor baby died even before my friend got here.
i got him when he was about 9 weeks old, and i had him for just 2 weeks and 1 day.
he was the sweetest little boy, black and white, he had the same markings as an Orca Whale, i had never seen one like him before.
he died in my hands.
R.I.P sweet one

·
Registered
10,641 Posts
OKay I don't mean to upset you or anything, but do you have other rats? Did you do a full quarantine with him if you do have other rats? Where did you get your baby from? You may have to keep a very careful eye on your residents if you didn't do a quarantine.

I am so sorry for your loss :cry:

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i have one other rat Lance, i got Pippin as a friend for him as i didnt know they needed to be in pairs when i got Lance, i kept them in separate cages but next to each other and i was going to introduce them together when Pippin was bigger as Lance is about 4-5 months old and a lot bigger so i didnt want him to hurt Pippin.
I got Pippin from a local pet shop.
Is it my fault he died? Did i do it all wrong?

·
Registered
10,641 Posts
Its not your fault he died, but since quarantine wasn't done you now need to watch Lance very very carefully to make sure he doesn't get sick. Poor Pippens may have had a contagious disease.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
now im gonna sound silly, but i thought i did do quarantine as i kept them separate.
please can you explain to me what i need to do as i would like to get another one for company for Lance as i know now that rats need to be in pairs at the very least.

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
Wait at least a few weeks to make sure Lance is healthy before you introduce a new rat or that one can get sick if lance is getting the same illness. Once you know Lance is healthy, you can adopt another one but that one has to be quarantined first for three weeks to make sure they are all healthy or the problems can continue.
Note: quarantine means the new rat in another house than your or at least in a room farthest from your Lance. Cages next to each other don't work for quarantine since viruses can spread easily.
I know that patience is tough.

·
Registered
126 Posts
A lot of ratty diseases are airborne, so keeping them next to each other kind of defeats the purpose of quarantine. There's a post on here somewhere about proper quarantining.

You did everything you could think of to do. I'm sorry about your loss. :(

·
Registered
97 Posts
xhawx I offer my deepest most sympathetic condolances for your loss. Losing a friend is never easy and I feel for you.

As for quarentine: when you bring a new rat into the house, you need to make sure they are not in the same room until you are sure that the new rat is free of any kind of infectious disease. It is better to keep them far apart, like in the garage if it is heated, or in another room at the other side of the house. This way, if your new rat has something, it can be treated and not spread it to your others.

What you need to do now, is watch your other rat, CLOSELY, and take her/him to the vet if you see anything suspicious. signs include
Sneezing/Wheezing/Noisy Breathing: Often the sign of a respiratory infection. Virtually all pet rats are infected with an organism called mycoplasma which inhabits their respiratory system. Many rats carry mycoplasma without appearing to suffer any illness, while others are not able to carry the infection unharmed. These rats will usually start to sneeze as young adults; they then develop some damage to the respiratory tract (lungs, windpipe, etc.) which makes it easier for bacteria to enter and cause an infection. This is usually what has happened when a rat starts to wheeze, and if a great deal of damage is caused to the respiratory tract, the rat may develop emphysema, bronchitis, pneumonia and lung abscesses.

Although sneezing is not necessarily a sign of serious illness (most rats sneeze at some point in their lives), a rat that sneezes frequently and for an extended period should be observed for any other signs of illness. If your rat's breathing appears laboured, wheezy, or has a rattley sound, consult a vet immediately. When treated early, secondary respiratory infections can often be kept at bay with a strong course of antibiotics (see Antibiotic Therapy).
The above taken from http://www.quite.co.uk/rats/#Sneezing/Wheezing/Noisy Breathing

I hope this helps

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
thank you for all you replies, and for not judging me on the things i have done wrong, you are all so helpful and welcoming.
i will be so careful when i get my next rat.
now i think on it, Pippin did sneeze a fair bit, but i really didnt think much of it. i feel absolutley terrible. if id have taken him to the vets he would still be here. :-(

·
Registered
97 Posts
I don't judge lest I be judged. I have made many a newbie oops and all new rat owners will. Your baby Pippen was sick when you got him. It was not your fault and try not to blame yourself for his death. You will for some time, but try to remember that is wasn't your fault. Some lessons are harder to learn and cause us pain. These lessons last forever and now you can inform others who get ratties all about quarentining thier animals. I give you big, tight, warm bear hug and offer my shoulder for you to cry upon. Much love and understanding.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
thanks turfle.
its so nice to come to a place where people care so much about their rats. most of the people i know turn their noses up when i say i have a rat, and they just saw eeuugghh they are such vermin. i do hate this so it is so good to come in here and meet like minded people who understand thats rats are so loving and intteligent and are so far from the vermin that they have the rep for.
bless you all.xxx
and thanks for the much needed hugs.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Don't judge yourself harshly. My very first rattie, Lina, went the same way. She'd been making wheezing noises, but was otherwise fine, for a couple of weeks before she got bad and we took her to the vet. The vet did what she could but my poor girl died in my hands. In hindsight, it was so silly not to do something earlier, but all we can do is learn from the experience. I've never let a breathing noise go past since without doing something about it.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts