Rat Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A couple of weeks ago I got a call from my sister. One of her neighbors had found a pet rat in her house that another neighbor had released into a field nearby. The person who found Rose (the rat) had had her about two weeks before I got the call. She put Rose in a 5 gallon aquarium with some hay and shredded paper towel. So by the time I got the rat, she stank pretty bad of pee.

I haven't tried to bathe her yet because she is very skittish still. (The person who abandoned her said she'd left her out in the field two months before she turned up in the neighbor's house. And given that she was the type of person to abandon an unwanted pet, I doubt Rose was handled much before that.) But even tho I've got her in a large cage on Carefresh bedding now, she still has a bit of an aroma. Should I try giving her a bath? I have a waterless shampoo for my dog. Would a small amount of that be safer than trying to get a scared rat into water?

Thanks in advance for any help.

·
Registered
30 Posts
If I was you just to get some of the stink off, instead of trying hold her like in a sink . Put a tiny bit of water in the tub , that way she can't get away . I'm sure after she gets a little wet , the water should get some smell out & she could clean herself after .
Myself I would worry about putting something made for a dog on a rat & she will lick herself after , might not be a good idea . I heard baby shampoo " wash" is mild enough . A drop in the water , then drain it & get a small container & rinse her off . Toss a towel over her , so she won't get away . Hold & rub - Nice bath :) Good luck .

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Baby wipes are a good idea. Unfortunately, I don't have a bath tub, just a standing shower stall, which would definitely scare the poor darling!

·
Registered
870 Posts
When I have bathed rats which wasn't during cold weather, I used a sink, not a tub. I think baby wipes is an easier, better option, though.

·
Registered
85 Posts
I'm really pleased by her name (because it is also my name), first of all, and second, there are shampoos at pet stores like Petsmart that are good for small animals. As a small tip- make sure you clean the tail. The rat's body is dirty sure, but the tail literally is what gets dragged through the mess.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks! My niece picked the name while we were setting up the cage before I even met Rose. (Sort of, she calls my newest addition Rosie Flowers.) The name turned out to really suit her so I kept it. I'm thinking of getting a pair ( so they'll have each other if Rose doesn't take to them) and naming them Violet and Orchid.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts