Rat Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
So since I got Nim she has had a thin patch of fur on her rump.

Nim's butt.jpg It is not getting bigger, but I think it might be growing with her. So staying proportionately the same size. She doesn't scratch more than her sister and neither scratch all that much nor does she appear to excessively groom.

Should I be concerned?

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I just compared her to Ace. Her skin feels normal not hard or soft. The fur that is there feels normal there is just not as much.

·
Registered
91 Posts
It looks like a tumor to me but if it isn't hard or squishy it probably isn't... it could be that it is just an extra patch of skin. You should keep track of it for a couple weeks. How long has she had it? How old is she?

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It just seems like a spot of thin fur.

I have had them for almost two weeks. The pet store was pathetic and couldn't tell me anything about them, in fact the lady that got them out was afraid of them. But they are on the small side so I would say no older than three months.

They don't scratch or groom excessively but I am going to spray them for mites just in case, but waiting a few weeks in case the person who gave them to the pet store had already done it.

·
Registered
91 Posts
I'm sorry to hear about the poor service. :(
It doesn't sound very concerning, considering she had it when you bought her, but it would be good to take her to the vet to check it out, maybe when she gets spayed. Good luck!!

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
They are getting a check up this weekend. Spaying is been put off until May/June because I will have to travel 5 hours to the closest exotic vet

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
There is a small animal vet in town but they won't do spaying because of the risk factor they referred me to the closest exotic vet which is 5 hours drive.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Update: Took them to the vet. Ace got a total all clear she is a perfectly healthy little girl.
Nim who has the thin patch was given a good bill of health, They said there is nothing obvious with the patch, just monitor her and monitor her breathing as she snuffled a bit while at the vet and had a few sneezes but that may have also been the wood chips in their carry cage that she was digging in.

Oh! And I am not spaying they have to have a consoltation first which is $95 per rat and then spaying is $160 each so that totals $520. Plus traveling to the exotic vet to get it done and the costs surrounding that will bring it close to a grand which is money I don't have.

·
Registered
80 Posts
My boy actually has thinner fur on that rump area too. I can't see his skin like this, but it becomes really visible when he has his rare baths. it did kind of concern me that he has weird fur but his skin seems fine... so perhaps it's just a weird genetic thing. I wouldn't be worried about it if I were you; I'm not worried about my boy, it's just thin fur, nothing else. I don't see how it could mean something's wrong.

Also I feel your pain about the 5 hour drive, my vet is also a 5 hours drive there and back home. :/

1 - 13 of 13 Posts