Rat Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi! I'm new here and in need of a little advice.
About 5 days ago I purchased a Large male rat. He is a little bit hand shy. I tried doing a little immersion activities with him and found out that he is not aggressive, just scared.
I was wondering, if buying another rat would be a help or a hindrance?
I am able to touch him, but he cowers a little bit. I am not sure what is the best course of action.
Any advice would be really appreciated!

·
Registered
111 Posts
Definitely yes! Rats love/need buddies and if you find one who is very friendly they may rub off on your guy.

·
Registered
455 Posts
Yes! Having rat buddies helps build confidence!

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
Absolutely! Did he have any rats in the cage with him where you bought him? Go back and get one of his old cagemates to take home. If you get a rat that's a stranger and not a cagemate, it might take a while to get them used to each other and tey will have to live in separate cages for a while or they could fight. Like the other said, rats really need a buddy, and unless they are insanely aggressive and unreasonable, it's considered cruel to force a rat live alone.

He is probably so frightened now because of the new home and because he's all alone. Just make sure you get a rat that's obviously a boy too, or there will be a lot more to worry about! :) Once you bring home one of his brothers, he should be much happier and calm down after a few days and become more friendly.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts