Rat Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Lucky Rat was a feeder rat, and is now a lovely pet. We've had her for about 2 months. Should she be de-wormed? I just found out about this. Also, I'm disabled and immune compromised. Is there anything special that I should know about regarding keeping our little girl? Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
672 Posts
Hello again Pam. From what I know even though rats can get pin worms and when they have them,they can be dangerous and they can be transferred rat to rat, but are not a threat for humans. However, I don't think it is that prevalent and I believe they are visible in their feces. What is more common in rats are mites. You will notice a lot of itching, possibly scabs with mites. They also can be seen on some rats. Both are worms and mites can be treated Via a vet visit. To answer you other question about you being immune system being compromised, I believe that rats can carry several viruses that can be transferred to us. However, they would have to be out in the world regularly and bring these viruses home to you. With your rat being a house rat, in my opinion, they are no more threat than a dog and less than a cat. The respiratory illness they get often is not a problem to humans. As an RN, I must say that I am not a doctor, and if you have real concerns about getting something from them contact your doctor or veterinarian for further information.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts