Rat Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
One of my rats passed away about a month or so ago, and my remaining 1 year old rat is now without a cagemate. I thought 2 new baby rats would be a good idea, instead of one, in case Sadie is aggressive at first, then the brunt of it would be more balanced, as 2 youngsters vs 1 adult. The other reason was so that once Sadie passed, the other 2 would accompany each other for their last years of lives. My mom, however vetoed the 2-baby idea, and now I am stuck. Do I get a single baby and hope for the best, aggression wise, then rehome it or get it a senior buddy once Sadie dies? Or do I continue to persuade my parents to let me get 2? I do not want to continue the costant cycle of rat ownership forever. Any advice is greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
219 Posts
One year old is pretty old but rats can live up to three years. Different ideas besides for getting babies are:
Adopting one or two senior rats, if you get it from a rat shelter the shelter will either allow or want you to bring your existing rats to see how they will react to each other.
Get a neutered female/male (whichever is the opposite sex from your rat) that's the same age as your rat, sometimes opposite genders work better together.

·
Registered
39 Posts
What is your mum's objection? Is it about costs and/or space? Because if your existing cage is big enough, you could keep 2 additional rats with only a very slight increase in food and bedding costs. If it's a cost issue, could you find a way of saving some money and paying for their supplies yourself?

If 2 new rats is a definite no, I would look to rehome or adopt an older rat as a PP suggested.

With any introduction you have the risk of the rats being aggressive to each other. Your remaining rat will see the cage as her personal territory, so carefully supervise introductions to make sure she is not preventing access to food and water.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
What is your mum's objection? Is it about costs and/or space? Because if your existing cage is big enough, you could keep 2 additional rats with only a very slight increase in food and bedding costs. If it's a cost issue, could you find a way of saving some money and paying for their supplies yourself?

If 2 new rats is a definite no, I would look to rehome or adopt an older rat as a PP suggested.

With any introduction you have the risk of the rats being aggressive to each other. Your remaining rat will see the cage as her personal territory, so carefully supervise introductions to make sure she is not preventing access to food and water.
Honestly, I am not entirely sure why mom opposes the idea of two new babies. Maybe because she thinks we will keep getting more, and eventually have too many? I don't know. Cost is not as issue whatsoever, as both me and my sister get a good amount of money from babysitting our siblings while my parents are away, ($4 an hour, average 5 hours at a time, about twice a week). I suspect it has to do with the fact that I have so many other pets (multiple fish tanks, dogs, ducks, and a cat), and she is worried that we will not have enough time for them, even though my sister has basically no other animal related responsibilities, and I still have plenty time and attention to go around. Space is not a problem either, our current cage can house 2 rats, and we are in the process of building a new one that technically could fit 5 it we so desired.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
One year old is pretty old but rats can live up to three years. Different ideas besides for getting babies are:
Adopting one or two senior rats, if you get it from a rat shelter the shelter will either allow or want you to bring your existing rats to see how they will react to each other.
Get a neutered female/male (whichever is the opposite sex from your rat) that's the same age as your rat, sometimes opposite genders work better together.
A shelter rat is nearly out of the question for me. There are very few shelters near me, and only one accepts rodents. And the last time I saw a rodent on their site was about 6 months ago, and it was a pair of white rabbits. I cannot travel more than about 3 hours to a shelter either, as my mom does not want to go on a long car ride with 4 kids to get a rat. Dentist: yes, rats: no.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts