Rat Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have 2 rats right now. Mushu who seems to be indestructible and Monkey who is dying. She has a ?pituitary tumour and looks like 2 mammary tumours.
(Btw any advice on that would be great!)

I was wondering if I got a baby rat would it cheer her up? Mushu her cage mate is not very friendly and often sleeps alone.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Its hard to say really. If your other rat isnt the friendly/social type she might do well on her own as she gets older. I have a male rat that is a solitary rat just because he cant be around other rats, it always ends up in a fight (even the younger ones!) especially even after having him neutered but its still a no go for him.. But he is quite happy and content by himself and I take him out to play quite a lot and he seems to be happy this way!

It all just depends on your rat's personality! If you do decide to get a younger rat to keep her company I suggest getting two babies that are the same age because it will be easiest to introduce them to eachother and they will hvae eachother still once your older ratty does die. I would wait to get any new rats until your sick/dying rat passes though so that she isnt bothered by the young ones.

Good luck with your babies! One of my boys is dying from a pituitary tumor as well, its tough .

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
I think that if you want to keep having rats then yes. If you don't then just make sure that you give your other one a lot of attention. I'm sorry that Monkey is dying. :(

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you.
Monkey is still with me, feeling better on her steroids . Lumps are still growing though

So do you think it's a bad idea to get a new rat whilst she's passing? I thought it could cheer her up? I don't know if it will stress her out though.
I wish she could tell me

1 - 5 of 5 Posts