Rat Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

The same person I got my boys from has another little and I am in looove with one of the babies. The guy says I can have him, but I'm worried about introducing him to my two.

Mine are only 11 weeks old and it's only been the two of them alone for just over a month, so might it be ok?

I have plenty of space and toys etc. they will be half brothers.

I'd just hate for the baby to get hurt :(

Any advice would be hugely appreciated.

Thanks!

·
Registered
383 Posts
I was in a similar situation. My two baby girls were about 8 and 9 weeks old when I decided to introduce a 5-week-old girl.

We were worried at first because the oldest would sulk alone in the attic while the two youngest slept together. The oldest was also a bit more merciless when grooming the youngest, but actually I learned the youngest was just a whiner.

Now the oldest and youngest are getting along better. I sometimes would catch the two oldest sharing a space while the youngest slept somewhere else. I guess they kicked her out. Poor thing. But they still play together.

From what I read, the issue is with having young rats with adults. I'm guessing your 11-week-old rats should be fine. I do not speak from experience, though. Take it with a grain of salt.

·
Registered
539 Posts
As long as you take temperaments into account, you should be OK. I introduced a 2 month old to 3 5 month olds... Now they're all happily together and it only took a day or so to introduce... and then a few days of wrestling. Since I have adult rats now, I prefer to introduce new rats that are older than 8 weeks. This is so they are big enough to take whatever dominance wrestling the older ones dish out.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts