Rat Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am really wanting another rat(s) so badly right now, but am I really ready for another? I am still in agony in the memory of my two pets that passed away. I know right now with my finances I would barely be able to afford it, but also, I still cry when I think about my other rats that I accidentally killed with the heat and it hurts to think about them. I'm not sure when I'll ever be ready for more rats.

·
Registered
2,871 Posts
i don't think that is a question anyone can answer for you.

I am the type of person that does like to get a new pet right away. I find it helps me move forward and share my love with a new baby.

But if you are not in the right place financially to properly care for or provide vet care, then I would definitely wait. I also highly suggest getting 2+ rats when/if you do decide to get new babies.

For right now perhaps you could look into local shelters or rescues where you could volunteer your time to pets in need or foster? it is so rewarding and would fill your need without making a commitment to a new pet.

·
Registered
918 Posts
I like Moonkissed's idea for helping out in shelters.

It's also okay to have some time to grieve for your little ones. After mine had passed away I needed to take a long break from owning rats, and only now am I really looking into getting some again... it's been like, oh man.. let's just say many years since I've owned some. At this time however I'm also in the position of not having the right finances to take on the responsibility and it hurts. If I could I'd own some right now I would, but I need to wait until the right time.

It's up to you though, unfortunately I can't give you any answer except for some slice of experience from my life.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I'm so sorry about the loss of your pets. It is always so hard when that happens.

I think its up to the individual person to know when they are ready or not. Sometimes, you just find the perfect pet, other times its best to wait until you are ready. Maybe there is a less expensive pet you could get in the mean time? Whenever I loose a pet, its nice to have another to be there. They will never replace the pet you once had, but they can fill up the emptiness.

I also agree that working at a shelter would be wonderful. Maybe you'll find your dream rats there!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts