Rat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
981 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone,

I've come up to a little bit of a dilemma. I'd like to know what everyone would do if they were in my shoes.

In the past few months a couple of my rats have died, namely Daisy and Poopsmith. That leaves me with three. After the death of Daisy and especially followed by Poopsmith I decided to get out of owning rats.

Naturally, things aren't that easy though and the following post has shown up on Craig's List:

http://atlanta.craigslist.org/pet/560800061.html

So I wanted to lay out the facts and see what you'd do if you were in my shoes:

- I really hate when a rat dies. This has been one of the main factors that made me want to get out of owning rats.

- Not that I can't afford to pay vet bills, but the fact that I have to pay $35 every 2-3 weeks to get Jordan's teeth trimmed really does wear at me. I of course would much rather this money go somewhere else, and so I feel that if I get some new rats it's probably going to mean they will at some point need vet visits too.

- I don't get my rats out as much as I should. I'm not home very much and so I can't usually get them out to play with. That's why I have a Ferret Nation, so they have lots of room to run around, but I still wish I could let them out more.

So those are really the reasons I've been thinking about getting out of rat ownership.

However, on the flip side, I know I would probably be taking better care of these rats than they would get if left in their current condition.

So what would you do in this situation? Just stick with my rats until they die off? Get more rats even though I can't have them out as much as they need to be? Some new option I haven't considered? Any advice would be much appreciated.

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
Hiya

yeah it does sound like you are in a bit of a pickle..

Its horrible when a rat dies especially when there was no warning , or if the rat was still quite young ect ...

- my opinion on not letting the rats out often is - as long as they are coming out every 2 days if possible even for half a hour thats good because like u said they do have lots of room to run and play - but maybe they would be better with some one who had more time ect to play with them and keep them company ect..
vet bills are just one of those annoying things which occurs with any amimal and vets must rake it in the amount of money they charge!!

if you know the rats are going to go to a good loving home then maybe you should let them go but if there guna be treated worse then they are now (not sayin u treat them bad )im jus sayin if there treatment is anything less then u give them then you should keep hold of them for the minute

i know my advice probably hasnt helped much but i do hope u come to a good decision thats good for you and the ratties
Jess x :lol:

·
Registered
981 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I appreciate the advice! I do think you've missed one point though. I'm not giving up my rats. I wouldn't trust them to go to any other home.

I'm actually asking if I should take in *more* rats to the three I have right now. Regardless of what decision I make, I won't be giving up my own rats.

·
Registered
3,509 Posts
I think it's a decision that only you can make.

But you wanted to know what I would do in your shoes - so I'll tell you. I would personally get them. Why? Because if I find a rat in need - it'll come home with me. If I have to go without, then I go without. But that's me, not you.

I think we all hate when rats die - it effects each of us in different ways. If you feel like their too-soon-death taints their life with you then it wouldn't be fair to yourself to live worrying about that sad day when they can no longer run up for a skritch. I, personally, fall apart with every rat I lose. But it's my other rats that keep me going - the joy that they give during their life outweighs the sad time of their passing.

Jordan is the rat with Malocclusion, right? Is trimming the teeth yourself an option? My vet has offered to show me how to trim teeth - so far I've not needed to learn, but I can imagine that being able to do it yourself would cut down on vet bills considerably. Mind you though, you've probably already thought about that and there must be a reason why not. So I'll shut up about that now. :lol:

Vet bills are, unfortunately, one of those 'things' we can't get away from. If you're lucky, the new rats will be one of those miraculously healthy little critters that won't need to see the vets often. I think it's a case of if you can't afford them (and live as comfortably as you would like) - perhaps getting more isn't an option right now?

Free range time? Eh. Well, my guys only get half hour each a night during the week and then an hour at weekends. Why so little? Because hardly any of the boys get along so I have to get them out individually - and there are only so many hours in the day (or evening when I get home from work). I think the main points (if you're unable to hold them as much as you'd like) are that they have company and plenty of space to live in. I'm in the process of attempting to get some of the boys to get along, so now they usually get about 45 mins a day each. Even with that little time - they are happy. Especially as they are in the busiest room in the house - so they have something/someone in the room to keep them amused.

Ultimately though - you're right. I'm sure you could easily give those little furbums a better QOL than they experience now.

I hope my rambling helped somewhat

·
Registered
879 Posts
Don't bite off more than you can chew. Now everyone here has a soft spot for our ratty friends. But lets be realistic. I think the answer is pretty clear. If your unhappy and your having trouble with the rats you have now. I don't recommend getting more. As cute as they are. You should wait until you feel like your at a point where you can handle more than what you have. I'm sorry to say but I think this time you just have to say no.

·
Registered
343 Posts
OMG "POOPSMITH" thats the funniest name ive ever heard ! seriously , that made my day !

Not sure what the best thing to do is though.You either want to keep rats or you dont.
Try and work out if you really want to keep rats as pets or if its just become a habit of having them around.

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
i suffer severely from ggmr syndrome, so i wouldnt be able to resist those two cute little faces. i think that once your existing girlies are no longer with you, you will miss having rats.... so go get 'em and enjoy!!

·
Registered
3 Posts
I would say no, don't do it. Always remember, no matter how often you see a rat in need, you are not the only good home out there, and taking more then you realistically have time for isn't helping you, your rats, the rats that you have seen, or any future rats you could possibly home. If you are feeling that you have to ask, then now isn't the time to take on more rats. If you aren't getting your rats out every night, for at least an hour, are you really going to have the time to properly socialize these rats if the need it, they are from an uncertain background and so are more likely then anything to need vet care too.

if it were me, I would stick with the rats i had, at least for a couple more months, and see how I felt before taking on any more. You may feel differently down the line :)

·
Registered
2,755 Posts
i think the big question here is can you imagine your life without rats? i can imagine my life without them but i would not be happy. there are times when my rats aren't out as much as they would like. there were times when i was in your same position, wondering if i was really able to care for them like they needed. these were normally during times of stress or right after the loss of one of the babes, like yourself. in the end it really all boiled down to are they happy with sometimes not being out on a regular basis and can i afford to care for their needs financailly as i already answered that if everything was perfect i would always have rats. knowing that my goal is always to have rats i made a vet can to cover those vet bills and try to keep it at least at $500 and always higher if i can. that covers the vet. about the time i give them as much free time as i can offer them. being a university student and single mother living out on my own, this is not always the same time or same amount of time each day. there are days (sometimes in a row) when i just don't have enough time in the day to do more then open the cage doors and cooing over them for a few minutes. i've even hired a friend to do the cage cleaning for me when school is in because i don't always have time to do even that. but they are still happy. they play and interact with each other and they don't lack for anything, except maybe time with me sometimes. but they don't begrudge me for it either. and its not like i'm the only person they get attention from either. there are always someone else that wants to coo and stritch them.

so i've been there. right now i'm sort of there. i have already decided that i will always have rats and made sure that they are always cared for, with the vet fund and hired hand when needed. but i also know 10 is my limit and am not getting anymore for a long time to come hopefully (at least until i'm down to 3-4). my friend has babies and there are rats looking for homes now and they are very cute and they all need a good home. i know my home is good but i know too i'm not the only good home and that i can't save them all. so i have the option of getting more rats now, and i say no (though i would LOVE to have more) because i have enough and want to have less so i can get to know each rat better.

to help me keep firm to this i put stipulations on the nest rat that i get, they may seem trivial but it helps me from getting every cute face out there. my next rat has to be male, blue, blazed and rex. its still possible to find that rat but is less likely to find if i just say i want an all black or all white rat or just a rat that needs me. my stipulations are very clear and gives me a daily goal while allowing for the possibiilty of still getting more. by making sure the rat is male it also gives me the stipulation that i need to be able to afford a $100 rat right off as i'm allergic to male's buck grease, which also helps me not bring home more babes. of course this doesn't always work in me not getting more rats. my last stipulation was filled when i found smeag (female hairless with red eyes that was too young to be pregnant but old enough to be away from mom). but that's why the stipulations work too. i know they can be filled.

as for if i was you right now in your situation. i would think about for a while. i would examine why i think they aren't getting enough time and see if there was a way where i could increase that time at all, even if it was in short periods throughout the day that added up or longer periods during the week where it could make up for some lost time. like i said eariler, i've already decided i would always have rats, you need figure that out. then i would consider if i could help these rats find homes that was not in with me or if i can take them in myself. if i was able to figure out more time for them, where i would not feel bad about leaving them in the cage and knew i could afford the vet bills (with my can) then i would get them. if i couldn't do that then i wouldn't get them.

keep us posted on whatever way you decide please. (sorry for the ramble-rant--its been one of those days).

·
Registered
941 Posts
I am kinda in the same situation, I am more busy now then I was when I got the boyys, and I have a hard time playing with them for an hour each day. Most of the time I let them out at night to roam my room for about 30-60 minutes while I get ready for bed. (around 12:30-1:30am)(I cant fall asleep before midnight.)

I am trying my best but its getting harder and harder to keep them happy.
I am not getting rid of them no-matter what but I know how you feel cjshrader.

·
Registered
130 Posts
That's a toughie... I say, that if you feel that you can't care for them then it's time to give it up :( I haven't lost a rat yet but I know how you feel... Listen to the little voice inside you!

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
Your vet is EXPENSIVE! Every few weeks we pay ten dollars to get Klardae's teeth trimmed. o_O

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
These two you might not be able to help, if you're not sure if you're still going to be into rats for their life (not that you'd rehome them, you said, but you still don't want to be "stuck" with them, either.)
Give it some time, the answer will come. If you do decide that the rat dynasty will end with the ones you have now, then that'll be that. Maybe it'll just be a few years break, I did that once; after the last one died I took a couple years off.
But if you decide to keep on with rats, there will always be more out there that would be so lucky to be in your home and your love.

·
Registered
10,641 Posts
You're a good ratowner cjshrader. But if RL is taking over lately then its time to rethink bringing new rats in right now. Everyone deserves a break from rat-ownership. I went through a break that was 6 months long and then I had to get more. Then I realized I had no bf who didn't like the rats, I lived on my own, etc...and found rescue and thats the end (or beginning) of the story. Right now might not be the best time for you to own rats continuously. Don't feel guilty about your decision but I would make a bet that when things even out and you end up with more time, you get back into rats :D

·
Registered
2,160 Posts
I would definitely take on the trimming thing myself or find a different vet to handle this... that fee is ridiculous in my opinion, even if they are offering a full exam each time.

As for my opinion of getting more... I can't answer that for anyone but myself. I keep telling myself we are at our limit & then a hard case comes up & we take more in. I recently took in 6 girls & that brought my numbers up to 17.

·
Registered
981 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
First off, thanks for the advice everyone. My question wasn't so much about these specific rats, just in general. I think for now I won't get any more rats, but we'll see what happens in a few months.

KayRatz said:
Your vet is EXPENSIVE! Every few weeks we pay ten dollars to get Klardae's teeth trimmed. o_O
My vet is actually very cheap! The problem with Jordan is she flips out when you try to trim her teeth, so the only way to do it is to sedate her (She has always been my least socialized rat, and though she's better than when I got her she's still not great). The actual trimming is $10, and the sedation is $25. I've called every vet in the area and this is by far the cheapest price.

I would LOVE if I could do it on my own, but as it stands right now she just won't let me. I also talked with my vet about removal of the teeth, but my vet was concerned about the health risks of keeping her sedated for so long. So as it stands right now I don't see a better solution.

·
Registered
3,509 Posts
cjshrader said:
My vet is actually very cheap! The problem with Jordan is she flips out when you try to trim her teeth, so the only way to do it is to sedate her (She has always been my least socialized rat, and though she's better than when I got her she's still not great). The actual trimming is $10, and the sedation is $25. I've called every vet in the area and this is by far the cheapest price.

I would LOVE if I could do it on my own, but as it stands right now she just won't let me. I also talked with my vet about removal of the teeth, but my vet was concerned about the health risks of keeping her sedated for so long. So as it stands right now I don't see a better solution.
Blimey. That sounds like an ordeal! And every 2-3 weeks?! Does she have any other health risks for the sedation? I only ask because it would seem safer to have a 1 off op and remove the teeth - than lots of small sedations.

·
Registered
981 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
She has no other health risks that I'm aware of. It's a huge pain having to take her, but oh well. The vet seems to believe that the longer she is sedated the more dangerous it gets. It probably also doesn't help that the vet would have to have the tools made to do the surgery and it would also be her first time doing it.

The biggest irony, I think, is that I originally got Jordan and her sister because the girl who owned them was giving them away with their too-small cage, and I wanted the cage as a travel cage. So I got them to try to save me some money on the travel cage. Oh, irony.

·
Registered
3,509 Posts
cjshrader said:
She has no other health risks that I'm aware of. It's a huge pain having to take her, but oh well. The vet seems to believe that the longer she is sedated the more dangerous it gets. It probably also doesn't help that the vet would have to have the tools made to do the surgery and it would also be her first time doing it.

The biggest irony, I think, is that I originally got Jordan and her sister because the girl who owned them was giving them away with their too-small cage, and I wanted the cage as a travel cage. So I got them to try to save me some money on the travel cage. Oh, irony.
That's what we call over here 'Sods Law' o_O lol

Might it not be better to look around at vets in the area to see if they are capable of doing it? I'm viewing it in the light of yes, it'll be quite pricey now, but it'll save in the long run as you won't have to continue paying £35 every few weeks. Within a few months you may have made your money back?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts