Rat Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, the two neutered boys I got from a local rescue are doing good. Their socialization is moving along, but they still make me a bit nervous.

There's Walter and William. William has always been the shyer of the two, and is prone to nipping me on occasion, which makes me very careful of the way I handle him. He actually doesn't bite out of fear, he bites out of annoyance, which is slightly disturbing and can make makes it unpredictable. He's never drawn blood, more likte just let me know he could do some damage if he was so inclined.

Anyway, he's doing much better, coming up to me and climbing on me on his own, and has now taken to crawling up onto my chest while I let him romp on the couch (BIG IMPROVEMENT) and sniffing around, but the thing that freaks me out about that I REALLY don't want to get bit on the face. Call me vain, but I don't want a big bite mark on my face when I go to work every day, or a scar for years after. So, when he comes up to do that I let him for as long as I can stand it and then I start shying away from him.

Am I being unreasonable here? Should I just let him do it, despite the seemingly imminent danger to my face?

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
I still shy away from my Fizzgig he was in alot of pain when I first got him from a bladder infection. I am just not comfortable with him around my face. I would say give it some time. Perhaps hold him in a way that his back is to you and kiss the top of his head?

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
If you are not comfortable with it, then don't let him. Apart from anything else, if you are anxious he will sense that and that could make him unpredictable.

·
Registered
981 Posts
Well, I don't know if this makes you feel better or not, but I got bit in the face and it didn't scar. When a rat seriously bites you, I don't think they ever try to really tear or cause any large wound.

After I was able to get the rat off of my face (lip, really) it immediately bit my thumb and latched on again. By this point I was a little frustrated so I pretty much tore him off, doing more damage to my thumb than should have been done, for sure. But even that doesn't seem to have a large scar, so I wouldn't be too concerned for scarring.

And by the way, I just had a jerk rat. I don't think my results are typical.

But like everyone said, if you don't like, it don't let them. I still can't let any rat near my lips, and flinch a little when they climb up my shirt quickly.

·
Registered
981 Posts
Yeah that was a poor decision on my part.

Let me tell you, my rat was one in a million. I have *never* heard a story from anyone as bad as mine was.

Let me explain how he differed from your rats to put you at ease. And please understand I was a much, much worse rat owner back then and made some very poor decisions.

A) He wasn't neutered, which naturally should have gotten rid of the agressive tendencies.
B) He actually never nipped me or anything before. The two times I was bit were both out of no where. So I'd take your nipping as a good sign. You get warned, at least, and not seriously injured.
C) He would steal food from my other rats and I suspect is the reason my second and third rat died.
D) He originally lived with another male, then with a female. After the female died is when this behavior showed up, so I've always felt it had something to do with that.

So my point is I don't think your rats are going to seriously bite your face. The worst I've gotten so far is a curious nibble on my ear from my newest batch.

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
i don't think william will seriously bite your face, esp if he's a warner, which is nice. you being nervous may make him more prone to biting you though. and of course, if you're going to be twitchy and flinchy while he's up there, when he does nibble at you, you might jerk away and cause more damage. he won't be butthurt if you don't let him up there, so i wouldn't worry about it. if it scares you, don't do it! :D

1 - 7 of 7 Posts