1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I found this ad on craigslist this morning:
http://honolulu.craigslist.org/oah/pet/576771415.html

Two nekkid rats in a tiny hamster cage!
I have 9 ratties, and a 3 level ferret nation. I have room if they are two boys, and room if they are two girls. Should I go ahead and rescue them?
I've already sent an email asking about them.
I just know that my husband will complain about my "rat obsession"
I can't help but feel sad about seeing these poor rats in that tiny thing.

·
Registered
486 Posts
Re: Should I rescue these rats?

8O

If I was you, I'd definitely rescuse them! I can't believe how small that cage is!
Even if you can't keep them or decide not to, then you can always rehome them with a fellow rat owner.

·
Registered
2,160 Posts

oh wow... from the looks of the marks on one it looks like they are already fighting due to cramped conditions

I can't advise you other than offer you the best advice I can for anyone who starts rescuing.

You can't save them all...

·
Registered
879 Posts

If you think you can not just think if you know you can handle more I would say go for it. Those poor things :( such a small cage and they are on wood chips! 8O But like A1 said you can't save them all...unfortunately :?

·
Registered
3,509 Posts

Those poor poor boys.

If you have the means of adopting them, they will definately thank you.

I second (third?) A1APassion when she says "you can't save them all".

(but it's definately worth trying sometimes o_O)

Good luck!

·
Registered
1,195 Posts

Omg, I have started watching the Hawaii Craigslist recently and I almost pm-ed you about those two. Do it! Sounds like you have the space, I'm sure they'll thank you for the rest of their lives.
But no, you can't save them all... but heck, as long as you have the space, you can save more!

·
Registered
1,099 Posts

As long as you can properly quarantine them, you can afford any vet cots, and have the space and time, heck yeah. That cage is ITTY BITTY, I've seen it in person... I wouldn't keep my mouse in a cage that small! Poor things.

I'd strongly suggest a full quarantine, in a separate location, as I would with ANY rescued rats. We have to turn down rats at times, due to not having quarantine space available, but you can't be too careful.

And yes, try to remember... "Can't save them all." Which sucks, and it hurts, but it's so true.

·
Registered
31 Posts

I would take them!

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I got a reply about the rats. From the email:

Yes the rats are still available. You are the first e-mail about them.

I don't know a lot about them as we got them from a friend that was leaving the Island.

I think that they are about 2 years old. As far as the sex???? Haven't even tried to worry about that, so I couldn't tall you. I think that they are both female from what my son is telling me.

- Can you imagine!...have these 2 poor rats been in that little cage for 2 years?!?!
I'm going to go pick them up tomorrow.
I'll keep you all updated.

·
Registered
2,160 Posts
since you have decided to move forward I will say that I am glad you are doing so... so long as you have considered many factors, both bad & good.

I didn't want to jump out & say... yeah GO FOR IT! because I know not one of us needs to be encouraged to reach out to babies in need of proper love & care. This is why those who get into the rescuing need to adapt the mantra of "I can't save them all" before they get too involved with the process.

I also didn't encourage it because I know all to well many of the horrors that go along with rescuing animals from "not so great conditions". I really don't know you nor know if you are completely prepared for what you may encounter in those not so good encounters. I've shown up to pick up pets before & either had to walk away empty handed with tears streaming down my face or pick them up with gloved hands so that I could rush them to the vet in order to determine whether there was hope or not that they would see the following day.

Rescuing is such a wonderful thing but not every person out there really takes into consideration all the negatives they may encounter in doing so.

Often when surrendered pets were not well cared by previous owners you will find severe health issues or severe behavioral issues that may never be resolved with a loving caring touch. Taking in an animal that has come from less than favorable situations is vastly different that taking in a pet from someone who cared for them very well but simply found they could no longer do so.

On the flip side... there are plenty of cases of great joy & happy endings... I truly hope that is the case with this pair.

Hopefully there is an explanation as to why they are in this cage... maybe it was just a temporary thing. I can't imagine those rats were in that teeny-tiny thing for 2 years... one would have killed the other long ago I believe because that is simply too small for them to have co-existed in such cramped conditions.

By all means, I am not trying to discourage you or anyone else that is reading this... I write this because I know for a fact that the kind-hearted good people who take special care of their pets may never imagine just how bad others may let things get before they bail out of their own pet ownership. If you ever do want to set down a path of doing rescues, have some long talks with people who have experience with this & then think long about whether you believe you are cut out for handling some of the not so pleasant conditions you are most likely going to encounter.

So.... enough of that.... I'm crossing my fingers & putting out positive thoughts that you will discover 2 well adjusted, healthy, happy naked girlies that will bring you nothing but joy.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts