Rat Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking around Petco yesterday I saw in the Adult Rat cage the biggest PEW I ever saw. He was long and sleek,way over two pounds , muscular like a Gambian, moved real confident like, had to be at least over a year and fed on nothing but Lab Blocks. He was chewing on ablock and looked like a big old buck rabbit. Must of been a breeder to be so big, the girl said he came from the usual breeder.
My question is, I immediately wanted to help him, no way is a python gonna swallow this dude. But my alpha Rat is half his size and he has been top dog for a long time, I just can't bring inthis giant buck and expect harmony. My alpha (Chucky) is a creampuff who is a glutton for affection, I would be extremely UPSET if anything happened to him, and the PEW looks quite capable of doing some serious damage.
I even thought of buying him and taking him to Humane Society, He's really a beauty. I just don't know what to do?
Spider

·
Registered
36 Posts
Not a big fan of those guys over at Petco, I kinda felt sorry for the mice at the one near me, they live in a aquarium esque cage right next to the rats. And the rats they have near mine were sold as Small Rats (Male) or (Female) with like 15 of the little guys in a cage. Stinky... on the other hand... the Petsmart near me sells rats by type and they are housed in purty big aquariums with like 3 rats to an aquarium.

I'd never buy from Petco imho.

·
Registered
2,755 Posts
pet store issue aside if you want to take this guy home take him home. just go through proper introductions and all should be fine. it may take longer where the new guy is an adult and being alone he's probably not used to having to be in a heirarchy. as for your guy being smaller i don't think size is always an issue. i've heard many a story of the larger rat being dominated by the smaller one (i've even experienced it myself). really, it all depends on the temperment of each rat. you shouldn't have any more problems then a normal adult to adult introductions with no extra cause to worry over injury. though size may seem intimadating to us its not that big a deal with rats it would seem.

don't buy him just to give him to a shelter. they have lots of animals already looking for homes that they don't need animals bought from stores just for them. at the store there is a chance that the rat will go for food but there is also a chance that he'll go as a pet. you aren't the only rat lover in your area, i can almost guarantee it. at a shelter the rat is not likely to be in any better an environment then at the pet store and can still go to anyone. in my experience the shelters are pretty good about making sure of the homes the cats and dogs go to but the rodents go to anyone who pays and waits a day to pick it up. the only difference taking this guy to a shelter as opposed to leaving in the pet shop is that in the shelter he's taking up space for another rodent that may just be abandoned (or already abandoned) outside. and of course this is assuming the shelter will take the rat in the first place. there are ones that won't.

so if you want him take him, he;s not going to pose any more risk to your residents then any other adult rat but don't buy him just to take to a shelter.

let us know how this turns out.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts