Rat Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On Thursday I will be expanding my mischief and so I has me thinking on how (after quarantine and everything) to do introductions. My boys have a double decker hammock they absolutely love especially Gandalf. When I do the introductions should i remove the hammock? I am afraid it will all go okay (especially since my boys are now only 8 weeks and the new ones are younger) but if the new boys go in the hammock the older boys will get territorial and aggressive... Should I remove it?

·
Premium Member
4,287 Posts
I would remove everything to start off with, this encourages bonding with each other rather than having separate terratorys. ONce they are settling together then start adding in things one at a time.

·
Registered
953 Posts
With the food and water, the only thing you want to change there, is if someone is being dominant and hogging it. Then you want to add another bowl of food and water so no one is missing out. You can also scatter feed, which can keep it easier for all to get their share as well.

·
Premium Member
4,287 Posts
I don't bother with a bowl in intros, to be fair mine don't get a bowl ever (and this including rats from birth!) unless they get wet food full stop lol (scatter feeding is far too good for them), no bowl means no hogging of food, plus it helps keep them busy and mingling.

Everything for me is everything apart from food, water and a floor covering (ideally a loose susbstrate like hemp, aspen, shredded card etc)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts