Rat Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
Madam Squeakster and Señorita Squeaks
384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My rats nails are somewhat long. I was wondering if I should trim their nails/at what point are they long enough that I should. It’s starting to feel as though whenever I play with them I come out with my hands completely covered in scratch’s.

·
Registered
Rats, rats, rats!
80 Posts
Although it is possible to trim rats’ nails, I wouldn’t advise it unless they are already super comfortable being handled and you have very steady hands. Even so I’d suggest taking them to a vet, or some small animal rescues offer nail trimming. Rats’ toes are so tiny and rats can be so wriggly, it is easy to trim too much and either cut at the quick or even snip a toe. There are some really great passive ways to file down nails: place things like Lava Ledges (pumice stones that can be attached to a cage) or plain bricks in their cage in spots where they do a lot of climbing, or put them so they have to stand on them to drink from their water bottles or eat their food. These rough surfaces will help buff the rats’ nails down as they do their regular activities. I’ve found these “passive” methods of dulling the nails work really well, and they have the added benefit of making the cage more interesting for the rats. Good luck!

·
Registered
759 Posts
I have often seen rats bite and trim their own nails when they groom themselves.They are always trying to bite off our nails too and nip off our hangnails so I am pretty sure they take care of it themselves.

·
Registered
144 Posts
I trim one of my rats' nails because she doesn't do it herself. She will clean her own tail from base to tip, so it's kinda funny that she ignores her toenails! Thankfully she is the most mild mannered of the bunch. If I put a bowl of favourite treats in front of her, she will stay still while I carefully trim her nails.

·
Registered
Madam Squeakster and Señorita Squeaks
384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ok. I will use one of the passive ways to dull their nails. Thanks.

·
Registered
92 Posts
let the rats run on a hard surface for a while it will probably grind the nails down they naturally have very sharp nails like little grappling hooks I always get scratches sometimes I even bleed but their nails are meant to be like that so the can be very agile and scale walls

1 - 6 of 6 Posts