Rat Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My husband really wants to start shoulder training a couple of our rats we think would really enjoy it and do well. I remembered that there used to be a training guide, or a post, or maybe just a thread that had turned to the topic--

Anyhow, I couldn't find it! Anyone remember where it is? A link would be great!

Juju

·
Banned
6,244 Posts
That's the right thread... Please pay special attention to the safe site portion and the safety instructions.... And never be afraid to wash a rat out of the program if it doesn't make the grade, you are doing it a favor in not getting it killed...

But yes, for the right rat, with the right training amazing things are possible...

https://vid.me/3edL

Keep in mind this was the real life Fuzzy Rat, the co-founder of immersion and the most remarkable animal I've ever met... Perhaps somewhere out there the's another rat like her just waiting for a chance to get out of her cage... but for the most part, the things she did naturally and normally will get any average rat killed several times over... She was a rare and special animal, and she had thousands of hours of outdoor and travel time of experience and somehow she always knew she could pull of the things she did...

Train and test... practice your craft and hone your skills and never get careless, it's a very dangerous world out there for rats... so yes, I'd love to see more rats like Fuzzy Rat in the world, but not at the cost of the lives of normal friendly rats that can't survive the adventure...

Best luck and stay safe.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks! That's the one I was looking for.

The girls might be a bit old to start (will be a year in Dec.). Also, we're very protective of them, so yikes, this scares me a bit. But we want to do lots of research and see if it is a fit. One of them just loves to explore and is just not satisfied with her huge cage and play area. So, we'll see.

If nothing else, we may try it with whatever new babies we get when some of our mischief start to pass in a few years.

·
Banned
6,244 Posts
You never really know how a rat will react to the great outdoors. That's why the safe site is so critical. You should be scared and you should absolutely anticipate that everything is going to go wrong and some things you didn't anticipate might happen... That's why you are at your safe site... it's an outdoor location that's most likely safer than your living room or as close as possible as it gets.

After you spend some time at your safe site, you will hopefully find that a certain rat will shine... he or she will be adventurous but not reckless and will stay generally with you and come on command... And most of all won't panic and run away... It will be having fun while your other rats cower in terror or cling on to you for life or dash away in a panic.... That rat is your true shoulder rat candidate. The most important thing is that you can train the right rat, without getting your other rats killed at a safe site.

Some rats are practically naturals, they hardly need any safe site work at all, those aren't the ones I worry most about... I worry about your furry friends that shouldn't be outdoors that will get killed.

Still always remember there's nothing ever entirely safe about taking rats outside so you always have to stay vigilant and keep your rat out of harms way by assessing his or her abilities and the prevalent dangers.

Best luck.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts