Rat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I love to see other people cage set-ups.
My dream if we build a new home would be to have my own rat room.
Currently I have a built-in that my husband built for me to house my rats.
Here is the old photo shorlty after it was finished.
I no longer use the multi colored cage either.
I will take an updated photo soon...it looks alot better now.
Here is the original before and after shots of the project.

·
Registered
16 Posts
That is a GREAT way to have a cage, but isn't it harder to clean since you can't take it to the sink?

We built a great cage, but VERY awkward to clean. We are going to build something like it again, but revamp the lid.

Here are pics in the building stage

http://multiparts.no-ip.com/PeeJee/Rats/imagepages/image5.html
http://multiparts.no-ip.com/PeeJee/Rats/imagepages/image12.html

and the finished project:
http://multiparts.no-ip.com/PeeJee/Rats/imagepages/image13.html

You can see Peejee in the bottom left corner of the cage. We had taken all of the bedding from her other cage, and quickly found out that ummmm, we didn't have enough. This started my passion for finding old clothes and using that as bedding.

I think we are going to build another one like that for the girls now (the one in the pics go broke in one of our moves)

And for the boys, I'm going to take one of my old bookshelves, take the backing off, put wire mesh on the front and back, make holes in the slelves for ramps. Hmmm, once we get it all done, I'll post pics of it.

Shirley

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Heeeheeeeee :lol: :lol: :lol:

The cage is actually inside the cabinet.
I take the cage over to the laundry tub for cleanings.
The cabinet itself was built to keep my old cat and children
out of the rats cage.
I only want my children to play with rats while I can supervise.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Wow! Those cages are really good and exciting!

I'm currently living with my boyfriend (and his parents - not rat lovers!) so I've got my noisey friend in a bird cage that I did some work on to accomodate ratties! That's in our bedroom.

What toys do you put in for them?

Ossie loves paper but it's so noisey at night! He's got a large tube, a metal jar, spiral tube, wooden dangley treats, a T-shirt and flannel (he loves those but uses them as a toilet sometimes!) and a cardboard tube.

He deserves much more in my opinion. What do you reckon?

Ana xxx

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I will admit that I do not have as many toys as I should.
In the pic of the colorful cage I had a bird rope for climbing,
a swinging basket, another basket you can't really see it in there very well, it is narrow at the top and I hide popcorn in it for them and the hammock.

I have since done away with hammocks all together
because once I made a huge igloo the hammock quickly turned into a toilet.
Their current favorite is to make a rat pile in an old ice cream bucket.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Let's see, toys....

In the girls cage, I have 3 inch PVC pipe complete with elbows and tees. Several parrot toys, dangle things with bells on them (even though I don't think they like them too much other than to chew on lol) A hammock (homemade so if they chew it to death, no biggie) and a basket I found at the Salvation Army it is a metal basket with coated wire, that actually has a flat side, So I have it hanging from the top of the cage along one of the sides using a Christmas light hanger thingy.

The boys cages have a bunch of noise making cat toys in them, along with a hammock each.

One thing that I have started doing for Houdini since he likes it so much is throw an old sheet over his cage (I did this one night since his cage is under the window with the exhaust fan and it was rather cold that night) Anyway, he LOVES pulling things through his cage bars, so nightly I cover him and in the morning we play tug a war with the sheet, cover before work and tug a war after work, he absolutely LOVES this, and of course, makes a nice cozy little nest out of the sheet he pulls in and has to remake it 2 times a day, hey keeps him busy lol.

·
Registered
22 Posts
someone on another forum managed to make hammocks for about $.22 each. just buy felt squares from the dollar tree or some such place, some s-hooks, and some of those rings that can be clamped into the corners of hammocks so the s-hooks have holes to hook through. they are fast to make and very inexpensive :)

·
Registered
238 Posts
The girl's cage isn't really a set up, its store bought :roll: . I do change out toys and hammocks once a week though so it's sort of our set up :wink: .

This is a 2x2' my first home by super pet...

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I like it alot!
I no longer use hammocks because they just smell too bad.
They use them for a toilet! Instead I started using old ice cream buckets
we just cut a hole in the side for them. :)

·
Registered
5 Posts
peejeeratties said:
One thing that I have started doing for Houdini since he likes it so much is throw an old sheet over his cage (I did this one night since his cage is under the window with the exhaust fan and it was rather cold that night) Anyway, he LOVES pulling things through his cage bars, quote]

Yes, we discovered that Grim also loved this after we accidentally left one of our expensive bath towels near his cage. Cheeky.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Esmie said:
Ratwings
It's an IKEA blimp. IKEA have som really great stuff for rats ;) That green net thing on the right is also from IKEA
Thats so Awesome! I've SEEn them there,but I never once thought alice would like it. I seriously have to pimp her place up..

·
Registered
26 Posts
Kitty_Suck said:
peejeeratties said:
One thing that I have started doing for Houdini since he likes it so much is throw an old sheet over his cage (I did this one night since his cage is under the window with the exhaust fan and it was rather cold that night) Anyway, he LOVES pulling things through his cage bars, quote]

Yes, we discovered that Grim also loved this after we accidentally left one of our expensive bath towels near his cage. Cheeky.
I was still living with my mum when i first rescued Lawrence and she was just coming round to the idea of him/thinking he was lovely when he pulled the brand new curtains she had made in my bay window into his cage and chewed massive holes in them :roll: it didnt take the little charmer too long to get back in her good books though... :lol:

·
Registered
16 Posts
peejeeratties Said:
<Quotaroo>This started my passion for finding old clothes and using that as bedding.</Quotearoo>

Yep - my local Goodwill and Salvation Army sell unsold (can I say that)
clothing for 10 cents a pound to the rag man. If you get to know them,
they will give you this stuff cheap - usually a buck for a whole trash bag
full. My gal saves flannel for me, 'cause my flyers are insane for it.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts