Rat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Please show pics of your holiday cage in this thread. ;D

I love how my Hallowe'en cage turned out, although technically it ended up being sort of a weirdish meld of Skelanimals, Sugar Skulls, and actual Hallowe'en stuff.

Works out well, though, 'cause I love sugar skulls and dia de los Muertos, and will use that part of the decor year-round. Since I'm sewing everything myself, I wanted to get a bit more use out of this than just in October.

I tried my hand at both sewing and a tiny bit of painting on this one--this is the upper level:

I made the girls' in-and-outs on all their cubes in the shape of skulls, was a bit trickier to do than it looks, or else I'm just challenged, hehe:

Painted the green sugar skull, and who knew you could find such a cute pink skeleton?:

This is Ara and Ahmi's favorite new thing--they are having a blast exploring this cross-tunnel thing I made from the Ratropolis tutorial.

Lower level (don't laugh at my black kitty, I painted him.):

The whole spooky deal:

I LOVED a couple of the Hallowe'en cages I've seen on here, please share some more pics, guys.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Oh my goodness! I loooove your setup! The only thing that I'm doing this year is using a black and white theme; my room is Nightmare Before Christmas themed with black and white tile, black and white walls, etc. So I'm going to make them some hammocks and such to match, and maybe throw in a few orange things. c:

·
Registered
89 Posts
i think you've pretty much won the halloween rat cage of the year award. lol! Epic cage. :)

·
Registered
995 Posts
OHHH MY GOD I love lovelove LOVE it!!! So creative. I'm going to have to raid my local dollar store this weekend for spooky stuff!

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I love your cage! Did you paint those tubes yourself? What kindof paint did u use?
First, thanks guys.

I'm getting weird looks from friends, hearing mumbled whisperings and...I fear they may be planning an intervention. ;D

Rat cage decorating is addicting.

I really enjoy aquarium decorating too--always have, but this is even more fun 'cause well, I love my fish friends, but rats are way more fun and interactive, obviously.

As for the tubes, yep, I painted them myself, just a non-toxic spray paint that had to set for what seemed forever before I felt comfortable with it. I made my poor vet read the labels (I've tossed the cans, sorry, would recognize it if I saw it again, but forgot the name) first. I'm still prepared to yank them out of the cage and just keep them in the supervised play area if I see any nibble marks, but so far, so good.

I really do hope some of you share pics of your Halloween decor, too--it's one of my favorite holidays to decorate for, and I didn't do much for the house this year--mostly just for the rat girls.

·
Registered
664 Posts
Great cage! I love the skeleton kitties! :D I did the best I could with what I could find in the Target scrap bins though sadly the shiny stickers had to be removed after I found a pumpkin stuck to someone's butt.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
"...sadly the shiny stickers had to be removed after I found a pumpkin stuck to someone's butt..."

LOL LOL!

Yes, a pumpkin stuck on someone's butt is rather a problem.
;D

Thank you for taking the time to post your cage over here. I really do love it. That kitty fabric--I would totally have bought that if I'd seen it.

And, yo--Templet0n, did you ever get your Nightmare Before Christmas decor done? If so, we wanna see.

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
Wow guys, awesome cages. I still have not gotten round to making my Halloween hammocks since I am in the middle of redesigning my sewing area but I hope to have put the Halloween cage up by the 20th.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Wow guys, awesome cages. I still have not gotten round to making my Halloween hammocks since I am in the middle of redesigning my sewing area but I hope to have put the Halloween cage up by the 20th.
Pics, or you never did it! ;D

Paigerose, I think it looks great!

I'm so envious of all of you who managed to get your actual rats in the pictures--my girls are camera shy.

Ahmi was carrying around one of the tiny skulls in her teeth last night, and I nearly broke a hip, scuttling for the camera and leaping back into the rat room...by which point she was inside one of the cubes, skull toy abandoned, and already snoozing. Sigh.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Did mine today, it's not the greatest since I couldn't find much stuff around here that they wouldn't have destroyed or wouldn't have been bad for them, but got a few bits and did some purple and black fleece!

·
Registered
51 Posts
It isn't as I want it. It's SO frickin' hard to put things where you want them in a cage with practically no doors. Many swears were shouted. Many curses were uttered.
It's also more than I wanted at ground level.

So it isn't positioned as well as it will be and it's also more cluttered than it will be...but still. XP

After that amount of time, I wanted to share. .___.

Also, the first photos of Temp (Templeton answers to Temp as much as Templeton, which is awesome since that's SUCH a fitting name. xD <3 )
Sorry if you think there are too many photos, I was just excited to have actual toys in there! :D <3

So, the whole thing, with a tubey hammock, a regular hammock, a purple plastic cobweb bowl thinger, a black/orange sputnik, a big black hanging hide thinger, some plastic storage trays and a soft pumpkin. Apart from the big hide, he can't actually get to these right now as he can't climb the bars. Since I didn't have time to arrange it how I wanted, safely, I made sure he couldn't get to them, as I don't want him falling with the large spaces left there. I watched him for a good few hours, tried to tempt him up and even put him up there to see if he could get down anywhere. Totally inaccessible right now. Also got a couple of random owls in there...they flash and I thought they were awesome, with their little fabricy wings, so hung those up too. x3
Got a corner litter tray with paper litter in, hope he uses it. (And some aquarium plants! Used to decorate the meece's digging boxes with these, so got a couple orange ones.)
Green tissue box, in a bigger box with bedding in for him to use as he likes and some skeleton friends! Also a ceramic purple and orange bowl hiding somewhere there.
What I don't have in, that I'm going to put in or swap, are: some more well placed stoarage tray 'steps' and I'm going to move the hammock and tube etc. There's an orange cobweb bowl and a purple/black sputnik for when I change it round. Also a hanging toilet roll holder with TP on, because he really loved that. He practically mummified the cage with it.
If he manages with the climbing when I've positioned things carefully, I'll try adding the second half of the height and adding more.
Anyone know any good solid shelves that would fit, for a halfway resting place? (That I wouldn't have to coat or paint or anything!)
20141024_164024.jpg

Fuzzbutt's cube, a coffin shaped paper giftbox stuffed with paper, a couple of pieces of pasta and a couple rat chocolate drops. As soon as I put him in to explore, he stuck his nose behind this and flung it across the cage. So uncaring of my efforts. X3 There are a couple of upside down egg cups...when I had mice, they used to love playing with these for some reason, (dropping things in them and rolling them around and just dragging them along!) so I thought I'd try them out here, too. I got a dish for water, in case he preferred that (and also because one bottle was seriously leaky, so I took that one away) but it seems he prefers to try and sit in it and knock it over straight away. Guess this ratty likes water. :p (I'll do pea fishing with him tomorrow when he's out, but not going to leave bigger water in there as it took a while for me to dry him from this...he didn't seem to want to do it himself.)
20141024_164036.jpg

Good old favourite toys and an origami gift with folded, springy paper and monkey nuts inside (but don't tell him that, he still hasn't gotten inside it!) Apparently it was his third birthday last week. His real owner gave me some treats and a ball chew for him, so I gave him those straight away (in moderation) and bought this online for him from me and my little one. (Because I'm lazy and couldn't be bothered to origami myself! xP )
You can also see the bottom of a broom I got online. X3 I couldn't not get that. D;
And you can also see that I still only have newspaper down (loads of it, it's nice and thick) because I forgot to buy anything else...but he seems to like it, so, whatever! Just wish it LOOKED nicer!
20141024_164112.jpg

After being told to get jingly cat balls by people here and his owner giving me a green chew ball, I decided to get some more and offer a variety. Not really a ball pit as it's not big enough, but still good I think! D: Ping pong balls, cat balls and chew balls there. Also got some orange and green chews hanging up and one of the treat sticks his owner sent for him. (and one of the NON leaky bottles...actually, the other isn't in these photos but I did put it back, he has a bottle at either side now.)
20141024_164237.jpg

This is the first thing he decided to do when he got in. He knocked my delicately stuffed coffin over and then flung it to the opposite side of the cage!
20141024_164838.jpg

He started washing himself a LOT for some reason when he went in here. Is that a good sign? Relaxed? Or a bad sign of stress? He didn't stop washing on and off for about an hour after I put him in. He seems fine now, but it was a lot more grooming than usual.
20141024_164945.jpg

He seemed to like the ball corner, he had a nose around, but had other things to check out before he actually got anything out. x3
20141024_164730.jpg
20141024_164751.jpg

·
Registered
51 Posts
Did mine today, it's not the greatest since I couldn't find much stuff around here that they wouldn't have destroyed or wouldn't have been bad for them, but got a few bits and did some purple and black fleece!
Love the green bucket. x3 Do they enjoy going in that? I wanted to use one but couldn't. ):

·
Registered
437 Posts
Wow! All of these rat cages are absolutely amazing! It's making me feel like a lazy rat mummy that i don't decorate mine for different holidays...ah well hopefully i'll find a part time job soon and then i'll go all out but until then i'll live vicariously through all of you guys! I'm looking forward to seeing what you all come up with for Christmas cages! :D

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
That black and orange sputnik is making me so jelly! I am so envious. Great cages everyone. I am so late with mine. Only just started sewing a couple of days ago. Got the shelf liners done, a cube, peek-a-boo and tube. Still want to make a honeycomb, pyramid and crosstube at least - and that is just for the youngsters. Then I have to make some easy access hammocks for my senior. Here are the ones I made yesterday.

·
Registered
437 Posts
Wow, love that hammock set, how are you all so good at this?!

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
Lots of practice. I wasn't very good when I first picked up sewing and I would say I am definitely still learning. The tubes are fairly easy and so are flat hammocks. Cubes are more difficult.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts