Rat Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey all! so my three boys are incredibly stinky, despite my rigorous cleaning regime, and i want to make a change. what i have in mind is using something similar to fibercore eco bedding; it is the only bedding i've found that is 100% dust free, and it needs to be, since two of my boys have chronic lung issues. care fresh isn't going to cut it.however, i also want it to be white to watch for signs of injury or urinary problems, as they are getting older. would something like this be suitable? from what i can gather, it's literally the exact same thing as the eco bedding, but my only concern is that the potential bleach used in making the paper white could harm them. if so, what can i put down to watch for signs of blood alongside the regular brown eco bedding? thanks in advance! https://www.uline.com/Product/Detail/S-7645/Retail-Cushioning/Crinkle-Paper-10-lb-White?pricode=WB0488&gadtype=pla&id=S-7645&gclid=CjwKCAiAwZTuBRAYEiwAcr67OWp58I8D2_L_xVIA6MyZiaJMCnnAcnWC6SSml6J8USAlMLq9B8xV4RoCi-EQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

·
Registered
812 Posts
I've used crinkle cut paper as a bedding before and I think it's more suitable as a supplemental nesting material than a primary bedding. Yes, it is low dust but it's really not great for controlling odors/ammonia. Ammonia is going to be as hard (if not harder) on your rats' lungs than a little bit of dust. It also doesn't coat the floor well so puddles will form under it. When I used it, I had to put a layer of solid paper down first to absorb the pee.

My boys liked digging through it and I liked the fact that it didn't get scattered outside of the cage very much. I think I used it for a couple months before moving on to better options. I don't know what Uline shipping charges are like but you can also order 10 lb boxes from Staples and pick them up from your local store once they arrive to save on shipping charges. The 10 lb boxes are very large and contain enough crinkles to last quite a while.

I use wood shavings now and I've been really pleased at how well they control smells/ammonia. The type I buy is really dusty so I hand-sift the excess dust out by shaking it in a mesh laundry basket. It comes out really low dust.

If stink is currently an issue for you, I really don't think crinkle paper bedding is going to make things any better.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thank you for the input! in that case i'm going to go with carefresh, since the hand-sifting is a really good idea. + i haven't used it in years, so they may have improved their formula by now. and i'm thinking of getting some crinkle bedding to lay overtop it for the nesting aspect ^^

1 - 3 of 3 Posts