Rat Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
My rat Shrieksy has always been a bit prone to sickness, while her cage mate Scritchy has only ever had to see the vet once for respiratory related illness. For the passed 2 months Shrieksy has been on all kinds of antibiotics. She was on baytril for 2 weeks along with lasix, then doxy for another 2, then after that chlorpalm for 1 week. Nothing seemed to help much as she was still breathing hard and being lethargic. She would breath so hard her tube hammock would sway and her whole body would heave with each breath.

I convinced my vet to put her on amoxicillin and now Shrieksy is doing much better (she's been on it for 10 days and she was given 14 days of medication) but on occasion she still relapses a bit where her body shudders just a bit when she breaths and her sides noticeably moves. Usually when this happens she'll drape her head over the side of the couch or my shoulder. The amoxicillin seems to have decreased these attacks a lot but she still squeaks gets breathing problem every now and then (also this seems to only happen when she's awake, hardly any squeaking and no hard breathing when she sleeps now.)

What does everyone think? Should I get another 2 weeks of amoxicillin (or some other medication) if it doesn't clear up completely by the end? And does anyone know what could be making her have these breathing attacks? I was thinking it might be congestive heart failure but it doesn't seem consistent. Some days she seems a bit poorly all day or only for a few minutes before she returns to her old self.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Well last night was the last night for her amoxicillin dose. She was on it for 14 days. I'm hoping she doesn't have a relapse or something. Her sniffles didn't completely clear up after the 14 days but I'm starting to believe it may be something totally unrelated now. After all this time on antibiotics it should have cleared up. Maybe it's just lung damage with age or congestive heart failure. I just have her on Ferosimide/lasix for now.

I suppose if she gets worse I'll put her on a combination of amoxicillin and baytril and see if that helps

·
Registered
2,261 Posts
Sad to hear this. This sounds like the same issues I had with my Yoshi. The initial respiratory illness was defeated by a long series of drugs just like you. But the lung damage was done. Be watchful for her gasping for air. If that happens, she should be pts as her quality of life has worsened to a point where she should not be forced to continue.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I was thinking that I may have to do that one day but aside from the occasional heavy breathing she's still energetic. She's still the first one to climb out of the cage and climb up my shirt to my shoulder so I'm not sure what to make of it. I think that there may be just a bit of lung damage and she just tires herself outout and gets out of breath

1 - 4 of 4 Posts