Rat Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone! So about two days ago my Fiancé and I got two rats from a family owned pet shop. We named the Castiel and Crowley (yes we are supernatural fans). Crowley was very ready to come snuggle and play the day after he was brought home however my little boy Cas is very jumpy and shy. Loud noises make him freak out and run and hide in his corner. He's perfectly fine putting his front paws on my hand, sniffing, accepting treats from my hand, and being petted all over. However when it comes to picking him up he freaks out, jumps out of my hand and burrows under his bedding. I've been trying to do some trust training and bribing with treats but I haven't found one he's really crazy about. I've tried cereal, rat fruit flavored treats, crackers, and yogurt. Any ideas or advice on how to help my little boy feel more comfortable and relaxed?

·
Registered
8,526 Posts
I would take a look at the immersion thread.

Otherwise; for trust training, you just keep giving treats. Make sure to test treats without the presence of yourself (leaving in food bowl) because otherwise they may really love cereal, but really are afraid of you.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts