Rat Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently got a roomie for our rat Twyla. Twyla is a very busy and very social girl that loves everyone's attention. They get along very well together. Venus( our new friend) seemed to just be shy with us at first. She let's us pet her, and when my daughter picks her up (it takes a lot of time and patience to get her out of her cage) she stays right in the bend of her elbow.

I'm sure she wasn't handled very much. She has not bitten or anything. I was just wondering if the skittish shyness is just her personality, or if she will probably grow out of it the more we love on her?

IMG_20150318_200523.jpg This is Twyla . She comes right out the second the cage opens ready to snuggle and play.

IMG_20150318_200715.jpg IMG_20150318_200049.jpg IMG_20150318_200125.jpg Venus peeked out a few times, but took over an hour of us having Twyla out before she would join us, and when she did she kinda walked really low like she was trying to hide until my daughter picked her up and Venus went right for the elbow bend. She seemed ok for a few minutes, but got antsy and went back in the cage.

Attachments

·
Registered
91 Posts
My rats are pretty shy as well. That is probably just her personality, but make sure to give her lots of love so that even if she's shy, she'll still look forward to playing with you! :) My pet rats also stay around our elbows when we cuddle with them, sometimes they just stick their faces in the bends of our elbows. Make sure to cuddle with them a lot!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Twyla likes elbows, but she is an explorer and recently she has been wanting to be in my daughter's hood lol. Venus will only let us hold her for a few minutes at a time. I don't want to force it. Even when she goes back in the cage, I keep it open and try to engage with her. Hopefully she will start trusting more, but I know that takes time:) I'm hoping Twyla will help bring her out of her shell.

·
Registered
91 Posts
My rats like hoods as well. :) Sometimes, with my rats, they just aren't in the mood for playing and will get antsy really quickly. You can try making a play area for Venus so she will get used to being out of her cage more?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'll have to try that. She did really well with the introduction. My daughter sat in the tub with Twyla and Venus. Venus checked her out on her own terms. She did seem more comfortable that way:)

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Do you happen to know a way to estimate age? I'm not sure of my ratties ages? I am almost certain Venus is younger than Twyla because she is noticeably smaller.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts