Rat Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm not sure how long it will be before i can post in the right forum but
One of my rats i got 5 months ago is losing weight and i can tell her personality is changing she's not coming to the cage door much and when she's out go her cage she doesn't run anymore, just walks around. she used to be bigger than her cage mate but now she is smaller and thinner. I'm not sure exactly what could be wrong. she's not old and she is kind of breathing weird though? like i can hear her huff and things like that. I feel like she might not be eating much at all because i haven't been having to put more food in her cage in a while because much isn't gone.
Anyone have any idea?

·
Registered
6 Posts
I'm definitely not an expert, but I would take her to the vet, just in case it's an upper respiratory infection. We've been through that already with both of our boys and it took an antibiotic to get them healthy again.

·
Registered
2,871 Posts
Take her to the vet. It could be a URI but it could also be something else. But that sounds very serious and I would get her to the vet as soon as possible.

·
Registered
106 Posts
This may sound weird but sometimes if you literally put your ear directly on a rat's chest you can hear the stuffiness in their lungs if they're sick. That was a factor in our vet diagnosing one of my girls with a respiratory infection, which cleared up nicely on antibiotics. I did the same thing to her chest (listening) as the days passed and you could kind of hear it getting better. Regardless a noticeable difference from her sister's clear sounding chest.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts