Rat Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My new rat is pooping green poop and has a strange scab on its back. I suspect the green poop is from the treats I give them, but the other rat doesn't poop green. Should I get him checked out, or is he fine? He seems healthy other than for those two problems.

·
Registered
966 Posts
As far as the green stools, stress or New foods can cause soft green stools or food didn't agree with her tummy. . See if they become normal in a few days. If continues and is prolonged a vet visit might be in order. As far as the scab, is it just one scab or multiple? If it had a cage mate, it could be Just by alittle overly groomed by cage mate. If it's multiple scabs and itching and scratching alot then it could be mites. Hope this is helpful.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I only see one scab right now and I'm not sure the past of this rat. I saw the scab before I took him home. I got him from a pet store and he was alone in a cage.

·
Registered
966 Posts
He could have Just scratched himself. Not sure without a pic. If he starts scratching and itching excessively and you start seeing multiple scabs then I would be inclined to think mites. Sift through his fur and make sure you don't see fleas or red little bugs(lice). If you do not see either just keep an eye out. If scab heals and no more scabs occur, then I wouldn't worry about it. If it is a large scab and does not look like an actual scratch, it could have been an abscess that is now healing.and just monitor it. Rats are prone to abscesses. Without a pic I can't really say what it is....

1 - 4 of 4 Posts