Rat Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Went to give my rats a treat this afternoon and noticed one of my boys is pretty lathargic, won't eat anything. One of his eyes is swollen shut. I'm thinkin it could be a part that my cats pushed my back door open where my rats are and it got pretty cold that night. Any ideas on what I can do to help this little guy? He's just turning two. His brother would be devistated without him. Any notice would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
10,641 Posts
When you say swollen shut is it crusted shut with porphryin (red) or yellowish matter? Or is the whole eye swollen? Can he open it at all?

It really does sound like he needs a vet with lethargy like that and at his age. :(

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
He was taken to the vet....It was porphryin coming from his eye and nose. They came to conclusion he had a tumor in his head. Had to put him down. :( They gave him the highest dose of pain meds they could give him and he was still in alot of pain. He will be missed :(

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
oh that's awful, i'm so sorry to hear that. you did the right thing, i'm sure you know that. and i'm sure your ratty does too.

how is his brother doing so far? does he have other friends to play with? if not, it can't ever hurt to get him a pair of babies to hang out with. the sooner the better since you'll have to quarantine them anyway.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts