Rat Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a vet appointment scheduled for tomorrow, but, being a college student, I don't have the money for these frequent of visits. My girl Emi has been to the vet a total of three times and the cost is beginning to become a bit much. I love my baby and want her to be healthy and live the longest, happiest rattie life she can. Lately she hasn't been eating or drinking and her breathing is rather jagged and strained. I took her last month to get antibiotics for an upper respiratory infection and the wheezing disappeared, but the haggard breathing remains. Her sides also look pinched and she is dehydrated because she won't drink anything. I tried adding a salt and sugar solution to her water bottle, giving it by hand even, and still she refused. She wouldn't eat her hard food, so I tried soft pureed baby food, but she refuses that as well. Her cage-mate, however, seems in perfect health. I don't know what else to do, and I'm very worried for her. I want her to get better, but the antibiotics don't seem to be helping. If anyone has any insight or advice, it would be much appreciated. Below is the most recent picture of my Emi, taken yesterday:
20141001_210703.jpg

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
Ask for amoxicillin when you go to the vet again. If they refuse, offer to sign some sort of disclaimer. Amoxi is really the best antibiotic for these infections, but most vets are hesitant to use it due to some silly thing that they are told in school. You can also order amoxicillin online and treat your rats yourself.

·
Registered
952 Posts
I agree with kksrats. Most exotic vets are told that amoxicillian is fatal to small animals and it is...if you were talking about guinea pigs and rabbits. I am also sorry to say that rats are far from cheap animals to keep. Try setting aside about $25 a month for a vet fund or applying for a credit card for just this sort of thing. There are vet credit cards that dont have interest if paid off in a set period of time.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts