Rat Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My oldest rat, Lady, has been making weird noises when she breathes.. at first she would only do it for a few minutes at a time.. now she does it ALL the time. It sounds like shes humming. I watched some videos here:

http://www.joinrats.com/RatHealth/SOUNDS/HealthyOrSickSqueaks

And she sounds like the rat in the first video.
I made a vet appointment for Sunday afternoon (the soonest appointment I could make.. I live in the middle of no where and there aren't very many vets that will see small animals.. especially rodents).
Lady doesn't have any porphyrin discharge or other obvious signs of upper respiratory/sinus issues.
I did the "rat phone" thing where you hold the rat up to your ears and listen to it breathe. She definitely makes noise when she breathes but i cant tell if its coming from her lungs, nose, or if its her voice.
Anyway, what i wanted to ask was:
Is it normal for rats to make noises like this?
I'm glad that I made a vet appointment, but maybe im just paranoid since my first rat died of pneumonia :(

Any replies are welcome!
Thanks for the help
Hannah

·
Registered
149 Posts
no its not normal for rats to be making those kinds of noises or any noise that is associated and in sync with breathing. its good that you made an appointment. sounds like a URI. good luck!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts