Rat Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My mom wont let me take my rats to the vet but one of my rats is showing signs of a respitory infection, excessive sneezing and red around the eyes. Ive been treating him for mite also, is there anything i can do to help the respitory other than a vet?

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
you really need to get him/her to the vet you rat probably needs anitbiotics. how does he/she sound when you hold her/him to your ear? is there weezing? is it strained? it might just be allergies but i doubt it the only person that can tell you is a vet. Something i did for my boys when they got really bad and it was late and i didn't have 200 for the emergency vivist was i would take them in the bathroom and let really hot water run in the shower and sit in there with them for 15-20 minutes and that seemed to help untill the vet opened in the morning i would do it every 4 hours or so (lots of no sleep nights)

·
Registered
814 Posts
Why wont your mom let you take your little one to the vet??? My friends mom once thought she was lieing about her rat being sick. When me and mom got there we took the rat to the vet and she was bleeding horrible from her nose & eyes. After the vet visit we told her mom about what happend and payed for "our" bill. Maybe a friend of your can give you a ride to a vet?

·
Registered
106 Posts
The only thing that will fight off the infection is antibiotics. Unfortunately yes that requires a visit to the vet.

It can cost $50 - $150ish depending where you live. Can you perhaps bargain with your mom to pay half of the bill with your allowance? Or to do extra chores around the house in exchange for her paying the vet bill?

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
You need to set this kind of thing up with your parents BEFORE you get a rat. Not after. You need to be ABSOLUTELY SURE you can provide proper vet care!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts