Rat Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,
im new here but have been breeding rats for years.
One of my females kept sneezing and always had a wet nose.
Then its nose always looked a bit bloody,it slowley died.
Now i think its past it on to others as they are now sneezing and showing sighns of blood on their nose.
What could this be,any way to fix this prob.?
Ive never had this before and my rats are kept warm and indoors in my garage.

cheers brett

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
Well, sneezing and porphyrin (the red isn't blood, most likely, it's porphyrin, which makes their mucus red)... may indicate any sort of respiratory infection, or pneumonia, or more catching things like SDA, or a variety of other viruses. My recommendation is to take them to a vet and have the vet determine what the infection is and how to treat it.

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
It very well can be.

I'm concerned about them being in a garage. This may be the problem, as rats have extremely sensitive lungs. Are there cars kept in this garage? Is there a heat source in the garage to keep them warm (is the garage heated, in other words)? Is it cold outside where you live?

·
Registered
2,160 Posts
I'm concerned that someone who has been breeding for years doesn't know the difference between blood & porphyrin.

If this condition is spreading through your colony then you most likely have a highly contagious infection running rampant.

How many rats do you have in your colony?
How many are displaying these symptoms?
Did you recently bring in new rats to your colony?
When did you first notice this symptom?
Did the rat that first displayed these symptoms have physical contact with any of the other rats in the colony?

If this turns out to be a serious infection such as SDA or Sendai then you have some very tough days ahead of you. Expect high vet bills & a high rate of loss.

Until you get this diagnosed & under control, for God's sake... don't allow any of these rats to leave you & enter general population away from you because you could spread the infection on a monumental scale.

·
Registered
Widget & Gadget
323 Posts
It's possible that you may have an expensive problem, make sure you ask your vet for preventative anti-biotics for those showing no symptoms as well as those showing pigment around thair noses or your problem could very well kill your entire mischief, these infections are often airbourne and as such can travel betwen cages, even. These respiratory problems are particularly unpleasant for your rat and often the cause of death is suffocation. You have a responsibility to these rats to get them seen to, it is exceptionally cruel to allow this to continue.

I don't mean this to sound harsh, but my baby recently died in this manner in my hands and it was extremely unpleasant. I have no desire to hear of other rats dying in the same way ;)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts