Rat Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I own two rats and so did my sister but the last two weeks have been awful. All four rats shared a cage together but one rat began attacking the rest so I removed two of the the rats and sadly nothing changed and one of the rats got seriously injured and had a bad bite wound on his testicles which swelled. He became very week and sadly passed away on the 18th. The rat that was separated from the rest seemed fine so I decided to slowly bring him back in with the other rats and they were all ok and playing around. However about two weeks later, last night I got them out of the cage and the rat I had separated at the beginning was very week, I tried to give him lots of cuddles and feed him but he would not move or eat and also sadly passed away last night. But both rats passed in a weird and distressing way it was as if they were paralysed they physically could not move or do anything and were very floppy they would just fall out of my hands and every now and again would jump but not using there feet. The best was to describe it is that They reminded me of a fish out of water. It was extremely sad. And now another one of my rats are kind of doing the same thing but doesn鈥檛 seem as drained and is not floppy he just seems tired or depressed. Could anyone tell me what is happening or if it could be a illness in the rats that is being spread between them?? I am so worried about them and don鈥檛 want to loose them 馃槗

Registered
Great, hope they are okay. This sounds very scary. Could it be a possible poisoning? Spoiled food, chemicals on toys, toxic paint? Be prepared to answer those questions by the vet, if they ask. And they should.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
hi all, have been to the vet with Ben and he is fine. He is back to his normal self apart from being very sleepy he is eating and drinking very well. Maybe he was just upset over his other ratty friends passing. Such a sad time but thank you everyone who advised me to go to the vet. It reassured me that there was nothing wrong with him.

Registered
Glad to hear Ben will be okay, and so very sorry for the loss of your others. And thanks for letting us know

Reactions: Rats4All

Registered
Gah!!! That sounded very scary! Glad he is ok.

Reactions: VivDaRatLuver

Registered
R枚tt -orphaned street rat, female
Hi I'm just reading your post has Ben been okay since your last post did he gett sick or is he still doing fine , have you introduced any new friends to his world? Just asking it sounds like you had a very horrible experience you handled it great, I just lost my rescue and have been deciding on finding a new ratty guy. Hope to hear Ben is fine.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts