Rat Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Two weeks ago I got a rat that was about 4 weeks old. Yes, I realize this is a little too early to be taken from the mother but he'd already been taken from the mother, he was going to be snake food. He came from a local pet supply that seemed clean, all of the animals were active. The building was on a farm I guess, they had horses (not for sale) that looked healthy, too. All of the animals up front had wood shavings for bedding, which isn't okay for rats, but I don't know if that's what my little guy was housed in because I didn't see - the guy brought four rats all from the same litter out for my boyfriend and I to look at from the back, in a plastic tub. (I really doubt that's what they were kept in, but I guess you never know.) We thought they were a little young, and this new rat was meant to be a buddy for a 3 month old rat my boyfriend already had, but since he'd have to be quarantined 3 weeks anyway we figured he'd be bigger soon enough and there's not a lot of places to get rats around here, so we picked one out.

He's been sneezing the whole time and I don't know what it is. When he got here he also had something wrong with his eye, he kept it about 2/3 of the way closed. The eye problem seemed to be resolved after we took him to the vet who said it was probably related from the sneezing(?) and he got some sulfamethoxazole/trimethoprim. He was supposed to take that for a week, he has, and he's still sneezing! The vet I took him to went on vacation, but I'll try to get him in as soon as I can. I'm not sure what to do though, do I insist on some Baytril? His sneezing hasn't gotten better or worse. He has no porphyrin, although his sneezes are wet sometimes. Sometimes he even gets mucous in his whiskers. He's not wheezing, sometimes his nose whistles a little, I guess from the congestion, though most of his sneezes seem pretty dry/empty. He eats a lot and he's super active and playful, although he's starting to resent me for giving him nasty meds. Could the bedding have caused this? Is it myco?

·
Registered
94 Posts
It's hard to tell, since his short little life so far has been a little complex lol. He could have been having some kind of reaction to the place he was living at before. Wood shavings cause a lot of problems for rats, and if the place had dust, or who knows what else, no wonder he's having health issues. Especially being taken from his mommy so young. They are not fully weaned until at least 5 weeks.

2 weeks is pretty long for "new home sneezes" so it's probably something else. I don't think I saw this in your post so I'm going to ask now...
-What do you have him in? A tank, bin, cage?
-What bedding is he on right now?
-What are you feeding him?
Usually sneezing like that is myco. But it will turn into a worse respiratory infection later and you'll really hear it- wheezing, clucking, choking, and a lot of porphyrin are signs of that. He doesn't have it now, but it could turn into that. He should be on Baytril as soon as symptoms get worse (personally I'd put him on Baytril now before he has a chance to get worse). However it could be allergies, which is why I'm asking about his bedding and such. So let me know and I'll see if I can help

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
- I had him in a tank for a little bit, then a tall bin with no lid he couldn't jump out of because I thought the air circulation might be better. This was only until he got a little bigger, he's in a critter nation now. I just didn't want him to somehow hurt himself because he was so tiny. The sneezing didn't start after putting him in the tank though, he's been sneezing since the ride home.
- He has soft towels for bedding right now to make sure there's no dust.
- He eats Oxbow, the young version. I give him a little fruits or vegetables occasionally. He eats/drinks a good amount and he's growing quickly.

I think it might be myco because the other antibiotic targets secondary infection but is ineffective against myco and it didn't help him at all. There aren't any other vets that know much about rats around here and the vet I took him to is very against giving him Baytril and didn't seem concerned about the sneezing at all, though it is very frequent and sometimes he has "attacks" where he makes little barking sounds when he sneezes and rubs the mucous from his nose. I do have 10% Baytril and I know his weight, but I'm inexperienced and wouldn't know how much to give him.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts