Rat Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a two year old male rat named Nico, who seems to be acting a little weird lately. He is starting to lose the function of his hind legs a little, so he didn't really climb from my lap to my shoulder anymore, but lately, he has. Also, he seems desperate for free time. We are sort of halfway through introducing him to another younger male rat (Remy), at the stage where you put the two cages next to each other, and whenever we do this he seems really really desperate to come out- he will ignore food and try to escape his cage. And, his tail seems to be drying up a little. It has become sort of scaly- ish and some of the scales are peeling at the edges. His fur is ruffled and stands up on it's ends a little. He had a little respiratory infection a about a week ago, but it's all cleared up. I thin that the hyper rat part may be because of the new rat, but is the tail a sign of sickness? Please help! :(

·
Registered
425 Posts
What kind of bedding do you use? If the tail is just dry you could try rubbing a little olive oil into the tail, make sure you go from the body to the tip of the tail so you don't get any debris under the scales and irritate it more. Maybe you should try going a step back in the intro process to help them get more used to eachother.

·
Registered
2,263 Posts
Hair standing on end and hyperactivity like that can indicate pain. And if he has a rear leg disability, he should see a vet for all these symptoms.Can you post pictures of his tail?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.