Rat Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay so one of my little girls escaped today. I can't tell you when, because i when I got home from school I went to their cage to say hi, and only one was there.

They were in a tank, because they're so small they could squeeze through their cage until their bigger. However, I put the cage top onto the aquarium (I have a cat, it was the only thing secure enough)

Anyways I have no idea how she got out, but there was a hanging toy that I suppose she could have jumped onto (it was pretty high up) and gotten out.

Hopefully she's still in my room somewhere, but I scoured it and cleaned it and haven't found her..

For the night I layed out some food and a little shelter close to where her cage was, so maybe if some of the treats are gone I can pin point where she is.

But, my other rat has never been alone, they were litter mates and came from the same place. If I don't find her, will Wendy be okay until I can get a new buddy for her? I'm really scared about her being lonley.

I feel REALLY guilty and worried. She's only a baby. :( Hopefully this is a mistake anyone can make, because I feel like I really f***ed up.

·
Registered
307 Posts
They are little escape artists. I would lay the treats down as you have, sit very still on your bed/floor and watch for movement or if she comes out to grab a treat. The idea is to close the door to your room, keep noise to a minimum and keep watch. And loads of patience. Hope you find her!

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
I would be concerned about your cat getting to her while she is out. Whenever you can, I would invest in a live trap such as the Havahart one. Try to place this wherever you see a disturbance.

·
Registered
863 Posts
I would take some time and try to find her before you get another rat. Also, consider investing in a wire cage. When rats are happy in their homes i.e. enough space, toys, nesting areas, things to chew, etc. they won't try to escape.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks everyone! Good news-- she came back today. I went in my room and she was back in her cage, what a smart rat!!

I'm still worried. If I cover the top of their cage, they won't get very good venalation, but it's not safe at all for her to come and go as she pleases! I'm trying to give them enough play time out of their cage-- but I have parts of the day where I can't be at home.

I'll switch them to their actual cage when they grow, but they can squeeze through right now (obviously )
Thanks for all the help. :))

·
Registered
953 Posts
If you can afford it maybe you can get a small travel cage for now that has closer bar spacing. Look on craigslist, there is aways cheap cages there, at least here there is-if nothing else there is always the small bird cages there. If the bar spacing is large, like 1 inch, there is a chance they will never be big enough as girls. I know my Goose can get through that. So there is also the issue that you may consider getting a different cage, or adding hardware cloth over the current cage.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.