Rat Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm currently trying to introduce a new rat to resident rat- the new rat Is about 3- 4 months old and was in quarantine for
three weeks. The resident rat is 2 and a half years old and suffers from slight hind leg degeneration. When we put them in the bathtub together the new rat would pin the older rat down, literally forcing him onto his back, groom him furiously, and the older rat would squeak. Are these signs of aggression? How should proceed with the introduction process?

·
Registered
36 Posts
No, that is 100% normal, if they didnt do that, that would be worrying. Squeaking is just a rats way of saying "I give up".
The general rule when introducing rats is "no blood, no foul.

·
Registered
444 Posts
The easiest sign to spot is puffing up, this is a sign of aggression. They become big angry furballs, and usually start sidling up to each other sideways. I had never witnessed any serious aggression until fairly recently and I had always fretted the play fighting was serious, when it's genuine aggression you instantly know the difference. Your guys are just trying to establish who is boss. Perfectly normal.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts