Rat Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
One of my rats have many missing patches of fur with plenty of scabs. It's all around her face, stomach, shoulders, ect. I've used ivermectin and revolution, both did nothing and yes they were properly dosed. She's been on revolution 2 months straight. I threw out her toys and bought new ones and washed everything thoroughly, there is no way that these mites could still exist. I've went as far as switching out her food to rule out allergies. Can rats have other skin problems besides mites and fleas? My other rat doesn't have this problem, which leads me to believe that this can't be mites. Makes no sense that one rat has all it's hair while the other is missing most of it. It's scaring me because it's like my rat is eating herself with all the scabs that I'm seeing. Could this be from just boredom? I mean I try my best to give her attention, any tips?

Right now I'm thinking it could be a fungal infection or eczema....

·
Registered
953 Posts
It sounds like I would suspect something else. I had a ferret years ago that had phemphigus, which took us forever to figure out what was going on. It was terrible, balding, covered in scabs to the point that he wouldn't eat on his own, cause it was even effecting his gums. Basically it was an extreme autoimmune disorder making him allergic to his own skin. Once we figured it out he was put on predisone and it cleared up pretty well. He had to be on steroids for life, but his quality was good after that.

Probably not the same thing with your rat, but when the obvious isn't it, it's time to start looking for other things. We tried restricted diet on the ferret then too thinking food allergy.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Luckily she's still doing fine. She's alert, eating, healthy, except the whole skin problem. After reading a bit into it, I believe it could be eczema since that's common and it has no known cause. So I'm going to pick up some 1% hydrocortisone cream at a local store. After a few weeks if there is no improvement I'm going to try lotrimin for a few weeks to see it's a fungal infection. I'm sure age also has something to do with it...

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So I tried horse paste twice and then revolution twice. She's still scratching and overly grooming herself. I then tried hydrocortisone and lotrimin cream and nothings working. Seriously I'm confused with what's wrong with her. I know I gave her the right dosage of revolution, trust me she had plenty of it. She strangely enjoys baths though, so I've been giving her some to make sure she's nice and clean and not going to get an infection. Right now I'm going to try and use baby detergent for her blankets instead of the regular scented kind we all use in the household. I'm also going to use dawn dish soap for cleaning both the carpets and the cage. I mind as well clean her with it as well. Before I used scented anti-bacterial dish soap. I hope this fixes the problem. Oh and I even went as far as safely bleaching their cage to make sure that there isn't any bacteria or fungus hurting her. Wish me luck or give me some suggestions...

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
That is a good start in tackling any allergy triggers. This might be a dumb idea but perhaps a light coating of olive oil might soothe the skin.

·
Registered
953 Posts
If she likes baths you might try some colloidal oatmeal shampoo. You can get the kind for dogs with sensitive skin. My pit gets hot spots because he's got a lot of environment allergies and he finds that very soothing. Not a cure, but it might be soothing.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Still no real improvements. Some parts of her appear to be healing, other parts are getting worse. She's on antibiotics and anti-fungal cream. I want to believe it's mites, but it seems like that's impossible with all the medicine that she's been to cure it. Right now I'm moving, so hopefully her being in a new cage and having her current one taken apart, washed, and then bleached, will help. It could also have something to do with her current environment, it's very humid in this house because of the cooler we have which runs 24/7. That can make fungus, bacteria, and mites thrive so maybe this relocation will help. No more crappy coolers for me. I also clipped her nails, so she wouldn't damage her skin. Hoping for the best...

·
Registered
953 Posts
Hopefully it's environment and the move fixes it. Could be a fungus issue with the high humidity, like you said. Things like dust mites can affect animals as well. did you try the oatmeal bath?

When you switched her food did you try like a very basic diet and then add food slowly? Otherwise you won't really know what causes the allergy (if there is one)-wheat, corn, rice, ect. I've never had to do it with a rat, but if I were I would probably do similar as I did with my dog and get a limited ingredient and as low protein as I could find dog food-like potato and lamb, adding additional sweet potatoes to offset the protein. I make my own rat food, but lets say I normally fed oxbow. I would have the ingredient list of it and start adding those foods back into it one at a time. So after giving it several days to a week of the dog food I'd add brown rice to the mix and wait and watch and add ect

·
Registered
350 Posts
Get your vet to do a skin scrape so you will know what it is for sure. It clearly uncomfortable because of all he scratching she is doing.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts