Rat Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had my boys for about a week now and they've come so far in accepting cuddles and scratches which I am so happy with. Since day one with me they've slept in a fleece tube and loved it. Yesterday, I changed their cage out and gave them a different fleece tube (a bit shorter and larger in diameter). I noticed this morning that they had spent nearly the whole night behind their corner litter pan. Not really sure what it means or if they just decided that it might be a fun thing to do. Could really use some insight from anyone. I'm nervous that they're uncomfortable in the change of the cage. Also note that they will play in the hammocks, tubes, and honeycomb fleece hangs but not sleep.

thanks in advance for any help!

cage.jpg (first cage you can see the tube in the back behind the hammock) cage 2.jpg (new cage with the tube behind the honeycomb)

·
Registered
444 Posts
I have a rat that sometimes likes to sleep behind the litter box. Not sure why...they have an abundance of hammocks and hidey holes! He just loves to sleep in strange places! I wouldn't think anything of it, just rats are strange sometimes :) ImageUploadedByPG Free1420794290.999791.jpg

Attachments

·
Premium Member
4,287 Posts
They probably were a bit freaked out by the new layout. If rats aren't need for it and raised in a varied environment then they are usually neuphobic (scared of new things). i would keep changing things whilst keeping then from hiding away to help them learn not to fear change. This will help them in later life such as vet visits abs holiday stays

·
Registered
335 Posts
Our rats like to eat in the pooper sometimes.. go figure.
My girls do that all the time! They take everything to the litter box to hide it, eat it. sleep there too! It has a grate on it so it's not quite as gross but still. LOL I just don't get it.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
luckily they've been growing so rapidly that they are almost too big to get behind the box! I changed back to the original layout a few days ago (laundry cage change) and they're not trying to get back behind the box anymore. Towards the end of last week, after I had put some scraps in the honeycomb hammock, they finally moved out behind the box into the hammock. Thanks for all the reassurance that they are just goofy ratties :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts