Rat Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know these are silly questions but here goes.

1. Do I need to bathe my boys? And if so, with what? My boys do have some of that orange coloring on their tails, the name of it escapes me right now. I never bathed my last pair, but they were girls.

2. What treats are good for them? They get what I eat in small amounts, lettuce, carrots, sometimes bits of eggs, and a small piece of bacon - of which they are very fond!
They let me hold them with no problems, and handle them as desired, so it wouldn't be to get them to trust me (their breeder did great getting them used to hands and people) But I would like to start on training them to come to me, and a few fun things.

3. Which leads me to question #3, how do I litter train them?

Thank you! (BTW they are 10 week old brothers)

·
Registered
981 Posts
1. You don't *have* to bathe rats, but you sure can if you want to. I hear males can get a bit of a musky smell if you don't bathe them. To bathe them, just put them in water (But make sure to keep it off of their face/ears), and then you can use baby/puppy shampoo on their bodies. I've also read if you want to wash their tails (Though I've never really bothered) use a soft, used toothbrush brushing down their tail.

2. There's a recent post where we've all been listing what we give as treats. I think any of these will work! You just gotta find out what the rats like.

http://www.ratforum.com/Forums/viewtopic/t=1106.html

3. I've never litter trained my rats, but from what I've read here's what you should do:
- Figure out where they are pooping and put the litter pan there.
- Whenever they poop outside of the litter pan, just put it in the pan. Do this long enough and they figure it out.
- You can also reward them with treats when you see them go in the pan.

And just as an aside, you can't really train them to pee in one place, so don't worry if they still pee everywhere. Especially dudes.

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
Intact males get buck grease, which is orange-ish and oily. Before I neutered all of my males, I bathed them every month or two. I'd fill up the bath a little (not a whole lot - since you still want them to be able to feel the bottom), rinse them down, then rub olive oil into their skin. After that, I'd soap them up with Dawn (or any other dishsoap) to get out the olive oil, and then after rinsing I'd soap them up again with a mild dog shampoo :)

·
Registered
10,640 Posts
The orange-y colour is dirt (urine, etc) on their tails. If you plan on washing those tails (10 weeks old :O) then this is what I do. I first set out my supplies, dish soap, toothbrush and towel on the toilet. Then I run warm water into the sink (just an inch or less), put on long-sleeved shirt, and put the rat in, trying to convince him/her to keep that tail under the water to soak a little and soften. I usually only get a few minutes of this, pull the plug on the water and let it drain. I then get dish soap between my fingers and run it over the tail (starting at the base working to the tip always!), then I follow the rat around with my hands, very gently "scrubbing" the soap into the tail in a downwards and a bit sideways motion. Then I take the toothbrush and with short downward strokes brush the tail...turn the tap on to warm and rinse the tail...plop rat onto towle and done. You are scratched and your rat is not that happy, but treats and loving should make him feel better. :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts