Rat Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
By request, I've put together this tutorial for my simple no-sew hammock. It can be either a regular rectangle style or a corner hammock. Enjoy CatsRatsVeggies and PaigeRose! I wanna see pics of your hammocks when you finish them!

I made this from fleece but I bet really any fabric would work.

1) Cut out a doubled piece of fleece in the desired size. For a small corner hammock, make it about 12" wide. For a larger corner hammock, you should go up to about 16" wide. Pattern Design Textile Pattern Visual arts

2) Fold over the fabric into the shape of a triangle to get the length of the fabric you'll need and then cut along edge of the folded fabric. Pattern Purple Textile Design Pattern
Pattern Textile Linens Magenta Pattern

This is what your fabric should look like after you've cut it. Pattern Swimsuit bottom

·
Registered
444 Posts
Was looking at the other thread and there was a really pretty twisty purple bit on the blue one, how did you do that!?

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sorry, this is broken up into two posts. I wasn't able to add anymore pictures so I had to convert to using Flickr and my original post wouldn't allow editing so I couldn't continue with it.

3) Next, choose either contrasting fleece or use the same color, it's up to you. I like to use a different color just because I think it looks nice. Cut two long strips that are at least double the length of the hammock fabric plus about 10". So if your hammock is 12", double that would be 24" and you would cut at least 34" long strips. Make them about an inch wide.

4) Then you start at any corner about 1/2 an inch from edge of fabric and use scissors to make a small hole in the fabric through both layers. I like to use my small scissors for this task as they work better than my big scissors. (please don't look at horrible my nails look! I'm overdue for a manicure!)

5) Starting from underneath the fabric, push the end of one of your strips up through the hole you just made in the corner of the fabric. Sometimes it helps to use the point of the scissors to help push it through.

6) Pull your strip all the way through leaving about 5-6 inches hanging on the end. Then create another hole about 1 1/2 inches from the corner hole and bring the strip up from the bottom and put it through the top of the hole.

7) Continue punching holes about every 1 1/2 inches and pulling the strip from the bottom and putting in through the top of the hole until you get to the next corner. At the next corner, try to make sure you place your hole as evenly possible in the center of the corner and then keep going down the next side of the hammock doing the same thing.

8 ) Once you get to the second corner, just leave the tail hanging and pick up your second strip of fabric. The first strip's tail should be hanging downward, so start the second strip by pushing the strip in through the top of the hole and pulling it all the way until just a tail remains. Now you should have a tail hanging from the top and the bottom of that corner.

9) Repeat the same steps from above with the second strip until you get all the way around the edges of the hammock. When you're done with this part, it should look something like this:

10) Tie the tails on each corner into a knot. At this point, you can choose to keep the tails if you don't have any hooks for hanging, or cut them off. NOTE: Don't cut them yet if you're doing a corner hammock.

11) Now comes the fun part! Are you going to use this as a corner hammock or a rectangle one? If you plan to use it as a plain rectangle hammock, simply put some shower hooks in each corner and hang in your cage. Or if you don't have any shower hooks, you can cut two more smaller strips and tie them to the corners without tails and tie the hammock up in your cage. Be warned though! Ratties will sometimes chew the fleece strips holding up the hammock and it could fall. If you want to use this as a corner hammock, (which is what I did) all you have to do is fold it in half- the corners without ties together. Then if you haven't already cut the ties, tie the lower half to the upper half just for added stability. (then you can cut the ties) Thread your shower hooks into each of three corners and hang in your cage. Again, if you don't have shower hooks, keep the tails and cut one more strip to tie that third corner together and tie up in your cage. PLEASE NOTE: Amazon has these shower hooks for like $5.00 for a box of 50 and they really come in handy when you're wanting to hang things in your cage. They're very versatile and chew proof! Just go to Amazon and search "shower hooks" and you'll find them.

And that's IT! I hope someone out there has found this to be useful! I would love to see pictures of what you all create using this method. Please post them here!

·
Registered
995 Posts
Alright, so I'm really awful at cutting straight, I don't have sewing scissors, and all my xactos are too dull to cut fleece! So please excuse the horrendous jagged edges. I didn't have a long enough piece of fleece so I used another type of material but even that was too short... well, I did the best with what I had! It was last minute but a really fun, simple project! I think I'll definitely be making more of these with proper supplies :) Thanks so much for the tutorial!

Pink Hardwood Textile Wood Table

Cage Net Mesh Architecture Chain-link fencing

Lucky was the first to test it out!
Cage Animal shelter Rat Muridae Pet supply

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Great job PaigeRose! Did he try to get in the inside of the hammock yet?

It IS a fun and easy project and as you just proved, can be done with virtually any material! And truly you don't need to worry about jagged edges because once you get strips threaded in and everything put together, those edges aren't show anyway. I'll sometimes lay down a ruler or book and draw a straight line with a pen on the fabric before I cut it which makes it easier to cut a straight line.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Okay I'm all left handed so I got the threading a bit backwards but here's my attempt!
It looks perfect! Are you going to fold it in half for a corner hammock or keep it open and use it as a rectangle one? Looks like all you have left to do is to decide how you wanna use it and then either put some hooks in or use the ties to tie it up your cage.

·
Registered
444 Posts
I think I'm going to keep it as a rectangle :) I know they're going to trash it but I'm so proud! I'll swap it for their scramble net later and see if I can get some snaps of them snuggling :D

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Yay first ever homemade hammock! Thank you for sharing this method :D
Awww That's so awesome! Now that you know how to do it and how easy it is, you can make other hammocks and do them in different sizes or maybe do a corner one next time since rats do love to climb into dark places. That same technique can be used on virtually any size or shape you want to try! Great job and I love seeing your babies lying on it!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.