Rat Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, hopefully someone can weigh in. I have 2 cages of 2 rats of each sex. Sadly today one of my females was put to sleep. She was about 16 months old. This has left me bereft as well as her remaining sister. I can’t stand the thought of her being alone, but my boys aren’t fixed (few months younger) I don’t want to get more rats as the heartbreak when one goes is too much, lost too many too quickly this year. My choices are: have the males fixed, leaving her alone until the males are healed/ less hormonal. Rehome her, don’t really want to but can’t stand her being alone. Find a companion of similar age- trying but they’re apparently thin on the ground round here. What would you do in this particular pickle? Thanks.

·
Super Moderator
111 Posts
It hurts so much when they go, but you can give them great lives, better than they may have otherwise. Personally i'd get another female rat for her, probably 2 actually in case theres any health problems down the line.

I am kind of against neutering as it seems dangerous and invasive for the sake of convenience, but this is just my opinion.
If you're looking for some local breeders there's a great discord for rats :)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That’s why I’m dithering about the procedure. I’m afraid of it going wrong. Although I’ve known and worked with many healthy neutered males professionally, in the context of them being my pets their size gives me pause. I’ve been on the hunt for new companion all day, coming up empty via rescues. Could you send me the discord info please? Thank you for the response, much appreciated.🙂

·
Super Moderator
111 Posts
Hey yes i'm sure they can be healthy and happy still and i'm sure sometimes it is medically necessary for the safety of the pet but for me it should always be a last resort, but as I say it is my opinion I am a novice with these things still really!!

Join the RatsRatsRats Discord Server! is the link, you are welcome, keep us posted about how it goes please

1 - 4 of 4 Posts